Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Iron 1-1 Peterborough United

2 January 2017

The Iron were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Peterborough United on Bank Holiday Monday.

Josh Morris curled his side ahead with a superb free-kick but the visitors levelled late on as a cross cannoned off Charlie Goode and into the Scunthorpe net.

Graham Alexander made two changes to the Iron side that suffered a late loss to Bolton Wanderers on New Year’s Eve, as Kevin van Veen and Duane Holmes came into the starting line-up, in place of Stephen Dawson and Harry Toffolo.

The Iron started brightly and attacked down the left wing, as Josh Morris crossed dangerously, but it was just over the head of van Veen.

Soon after, Charlie Goode found himself in unfamiliar territory, but his curled effort from the edge of the box went narrowly wide. Nevertheless, it was a superb effort.

A minute later, van Veen squirmed his way past a Posh defender before being pulled back. The resultant free-kick was hit well by Morris, but that too went just wide.

The visitors created their next opportunity with 20 minutes on the clock but, after the ball bounced kindly for Michael Smith, the Posh man hit wide on the half volley.

Visiting goalkeeper Luke McGee was the hero after 27 minutes, as he pulled off one of the saves of the season. Adelakun had found room to shoot in the box, forcing McGee to parry, but he rose from the floor to stick a leg in front of van Veen’s follow up, when the Dutchman had an open goal.

The rest of the half became a scrappy affair in the middle of the pitch, with neither side finding much opportunity to shoot. Then, just as the fourth official held up the board announcing one minute of additional time, a free-kick was awarded to the Iron on the edge of the Posh box, and Morris stepped up to curl it in to send the home side into the break with a deserved lead.

Peterborough started quickly as they looked to find a way back into the game, but they couldn’t take advantage of a corner which was won by Lee Angol, who entered the fray at half time.

Paddy Madden almost doubled the lead ten minutes into the second half, but his half volley from a tight angle fizzed wide.

Junior Morais found room in the 62nd minute to fire in an effort, but off balance he fell over and the shot went wide.

Peterborough continued to pile on the pressure in their search for an equaliser, but the Iron broke well after 73 minutes as substitute Stephen Dawson laid the ball to Mantom, but his effort flew over.

Neal Bishop had a great opportunity to all but seal the win, but he headed over from a Morris corner whilst unmarked.

The Posh levelled shortly after as Smith’s ball was pinpoint, and the unfortunate Goode couldn’t get his body out of the way to score an own goal.

The Iron almost took the lead again a minute later as Jordan Clarke controlled with his chest before trying to get the ball under McGee, but the keeper pulled off his second superb save of the game.

Both teams threw bodies forwards in the final stages to find a winner, but neither could do so, with the scores ending at 1-1.

Scunthorpe United:
Daniels, Wallace, Madden, van Veen (Margetts, 89), Morris, Bishop, Adelakun (Williams, 55), Mantom, Holmes (Dawson, 68), Goode, Clarke.
Substitutes not used: Anyon, Wiseman, Hopper, Smallwood.

Peterborough United: McGee, Smith, Hughes, Bostwick, Tafazolli, Edwards (Da Silva Lopes, 46), Forrester, Taylor (Angol, 46), Maddison, Samuelson, Morais.
Substitutes not used: Tyler, White, Nichols, Chettle, Binnom-Williams.

Attendance: 4,855.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block