Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


21 January 2017

The Iron's Under-18 side drew 1-1 against Burton Albion at Appleby-Frodingham on Saturday morning.

It was an excellent game played between two of the league's top four teams.

Harvey Ablett was on hand to score twice for United in the first half, but his shot was well saved by the visiting goalkeeper on both occasions.

With the game evenly balanced and drifting towards half-time, Scunthorpe surprisingly fell behind on 43 minutes.

Iron goalkeeper Adam Kelsey looked to deal with a speculative shot from outside the penalty area and, in doing so, tipped the ball onto the crossbar, where Burton were quick to follow and tap the rebound home.

United stepped up the tempo after the break and dominated the game, creating numerous goalscoring opportunities.

On the hour, Nate Sithole did well to get beyond his marker before firing in an excellent cross that, in a melee of players, saw James Dean-Atkinson claim the final touch as the ball found the back of the visitors goal.

Scunthorpe were really pushing the away team back, and it seemed only a matter of time before the Iron scored again.

A good chance came their way on 75 minutes when David Allasan was through with just Burton's number one to beat, but his effort was blocked by the feet of the diving keeper.

On 79 minutes, Kyle Porter thought he had scored the winner when he climbed the highest to power his header goalwards, but unfortunately his effort struck Dean-Atkinson on the goal line and Burton cleared the danger to hang on for a point.

Afterwards, Academy Manager Tony Daws said: "It was an excellent game of football and I thought that all of our boys played really well today.

"We felt that we were unlucky not to win on our second half performance. Well done lads."

Iron team: Kelsey, McMichael, Butroid, Porter, Lilley, Sackey, Busby, Hornshaw, Ablett (Allasan, 58), Dean-Atkinson, Sithole.
Substitutes not used: Bartholomew, Parker, Appleby.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block