Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Blackpool 2-3 Iron

26 December 2017

The Iron ran out as 3-2 winners at Blackpool on Boxing Day, winning there for the first time since April 2000.

It only took a minute in each half for the Iron to score as goals from Tom Hopper, Duane Holmes and Hakeeb Adelakun guided them to victory.

Both teams came out of the gate hot with both Kevin van Veen and Sessi D’Almeida having shots on goal. However, it was Hopper’s volley into the top right corner that made the difference early on.

A great team move which started with Levi Sutton saw Duane Holmes flick the ball over to Hopper, who hit it first time to score in wonderful style.

Not long after, Holmes punished the Seasiders on the break with his eighth goal in all competitions. The winger was played through on the right side of the box and hit it low into the bottom right, to beat Ben Williams in goal.

Graham Alexander only made one change to the team that beat Southend United 3-1. Levi Sutton came into the team in place of Funso Ojo.

Following the Iron’s continuous waves of attack, Sean Longstaff had a chance to get the Tangerines back into the game as the ball bounced to him in the box. However, he could only send it wide of the target.

D’Almeida was handed his second shot by Kelvin Mellor as he found him waiting at the edge of the Iron’s box. However, his low shot ended up well wide of the right post.

He wasn’t giving up though as he continued to try in the 16th minute but again sent the ball wide of the post.

Sean Longstaff looked to be the Seasiders’ hope as he threaded a ball through to Nathan Delfouneso in the Iron box. However, the former Blackpool ‘keeper Matt Gilks made himself big enough to produce a fantastic save and maintain the two goal lead.

Danny Philliskirk made it a game of spectacular goals for both sides as he struck the ball from over 20 yards out and found the bottom left corner of the goal. Blackpool were looking for an equaliser but the Iron looked the most likely to score.

Charlie Goode almost got the Iron’s third in the 30th minute as his header from the back post caused mayhem in the Blackpool box, thereby forcing the ‘keeper eventually clawed it out.

Armand Gnanduillet almost made his impact on the game with a minute left of the first-half. The striker nodded the ball into the chest of Delfouneso in the box. Delfouneso volleyed the ball as it fell to his feet but dragged it just wide of the target.

It only took the Iron a minute to restore their two goal cushion in the second-half as Hakeeb Adelakun struck the ball from just under 30 yards out and found the back of the net.

Scott Quigley soon got his chance after coming off the bench. He attempted some trickery on the edge of the box but Matt Gilks had his shot covered. Shortly after, Gnanduillet tried a curling effort from a similar position but it flew just over the top left corner of the Iron’s goal.

Gnanduillet took on another shot with just over 20 minutes left. The striker tried it from the left-wing and was denied by Gilks. The Iron ‘keeper was called upon again soon after as he reacted brilliantly to a corner ball. Curtis Tilt headed it towards goal but Gilks reacted instinctively to deny his former club a second.

He made it a trio of saves as he also got down rapidly to block Longstaff’s shot from inside the box. Blackpool continued to pile on the pressure, which resulted in Philliskirk coming close with a long shot in the 72nd minute. However, he couldn’t guide it into the net.

The Iron soon countered as Duane Holmes shot up the right-wing and drove a cross in towards the head of Tom Hopper. The striker was unfortunate to be beaten to it by Ben Williams.

The Iron defence showed resilience late in the game, which was perfectly exemplified by Charlie Goode who leapt to the ground to head Philliskirk’s shot away.

Murray Wallace did well to block Kelvin Mellor’s late volley at goal, maintaining the Iron’s lead. However, unfortunately for United, Sean Longstaff eventually came free in the box and hammered the ball into the bottom right corner.

This guaranteed the Iron fans a very nervy four minutes of added time but their worries were put to bed as the referee blew his whistle.

Blackpool: Williams (GK), Mellor, Robertson, D’Almeida (Menga, 78’), Gnanduillet, Ryan (Spearing, 57’), Longstaff, Tilt, Philliskirk, Daniel, Delfouneso (Quigley, 57’).
Unused substitutes: Allsop, Taylor, Anderton, Menga, Cooke, Quigley.

Scunthorpe United: Gilks (GK), Townsend, Wallace, van Veen (Novak, 81’), Morris, Hopper, Adelakun, Holmes, Goode, Burgess, Sutton (Ojo, 48’).
Unused substitutes: Watson, Madden, Lewis, Church, Butroid.

Advertisement block