Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 14/04/2017

14 April 2017

The Iron picked up a crucial three points on the road, as they defeated MK Dons 1-0 at Stadium MK to make it back-to-back victories in Sky Bet League One.

An Ivan Toney header was enough to secure the win, with the striker powering home from a Josh Morris corner in the first half.

United made one change from last week's 1-0 victory over Bolton Wanderers at Glanford Park.

The injured Matt Crooks was replaced by Neal Bishop, who came on at half-time of last week's game for the Rangers loanee.

Proceedings started at a steady pace, with both sides battling for possession in the opening stages. 

In saying that, both did create one opportunity inside the first ten minutes. Graham Alexander’s men set their sights first, as Morris collected a neat lay-off from Paddy Madden, before striking an effort from the edge of the area which was subsequently blocked by a Dons defender.

The hosts then went on the attack themselves, but Joe Anyon denied them, as he grabbed hold of an acrobatic attempt from Ed Upson, who’d made his way into the penalty area unopposed.

Toney had the clearest look at goal up until that point on 18 minutes when Jamie Ness found him in the box. The Newcastle loanee showed quick feet to manufacture some space for a shot, but placed his strike a fraction wide of Lee Nicholls’ right hand post.

It wouldn’t be long however before the striker got his goal. Morris, who teed up David Mirfin with an exquisite delivery last time out, repeated that feat with another assist here. This time it was Toney who benefited, as he leapt highest to head home into the roof of the net.

A speculative George Baldock effort was all the hosts could conjure up in the remainder of the first period, as Scunthorpe went in ahead at the interval.

MK Dons’ Harvey Barnes had the first opportunity after the restart, but Anyon wasn’t troubled by the midfielder’s low strike from distance.

Stuart O’Keefe followed up Barnes’ attempt with one of his own. Unlike his team-mate before him though, the Dons man lashed wide of Anyon’s goal.

After soaking up early Dons pressure at the start of the second half, United looked to hit their opponents on the counter. Madden had a chance to do just that on the hour mark but, following an interception on halfway, the Irishman could only manage to drag his effort wide from a tight angle.

Goalscorer Toney’s work for the afternoon was done with just over twenty minutes left on the clock, as Craig Davies replaced him up front.

As the game ticked towards the conclusion, the home side expectantly committed more bodies forward in search of an equaliser. Barnes took aim once more in the 70th minute, with a shot which Anyon watched fly harmlessly wide.

Some fine goalkeeping from Anyon preserved the Iron’s lead in the closing stages, as he resumed his dual with Barnes. The midfielder latched onto a throughball and hit an effort which came through a crowd of bodies, but he was denied by the Scunthorpe ‘keeper, who did superbly to save with his feet.

The visitors looked comfortable from then on, and held out for what could prove to be a vital away triumph.

MK Dons: Nicholls, Baldock, Lewington, Walsh, Upson, O'Keefe, Williams, Muirhead (Thomas-Asante, 78), Barnes, Rasulo (Agard, 65), Brittain (Reeves, 56).
Substitutes not used: Martin, Potter, Downing, Tilney.

Scunthorpe United: Anyon, Wiseman, Wallace, Mirfin, Dawson, Madden (Mantom, 86), Morris, Bishop, Townsend, Toney (Davies, 70), Ness.
Substitutes not used: Watson, van Veen, Toffolo, Holmes, Davies, Sutton.

Attendance: 9,274 (670 away)

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block