Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Millwall 3-1 Iron

1 April 2017


United suffered a 3-1 defeat at Millwall on Saturday afternoon.

The game couldn’t have started any worse, when the home side were awarded a penalty after only two minutes, when Paddy Madden tripped an opposing player. It was Shaun Williams who stepped up to dispatch the penalty, despite Joe Anyon getting a touch.

Second half goals from Shane Ferguson and Aiden O’Brien sent the hosts into a comfortable lead, before Matt Crooks scored with the final kick of the game, after Josh Morris’ pinpoint free kick.

The Iron had made four changes to the starting line-up that defeated Bradford City in front of the Sky TV cameras the previous Sunday.

Joe Anyon, Levi Sutton, David Mirfin and Jamie Ness were the quartet to come into the starting 11, with Luke Daniels, Jordan Clarke, Charlie Goode and Hakeeb Adelakun the players to exit.

It took the home side only a minute to give Anyon his first scare, as Steve Morison’s effort deflected off Mirfin and went narrowly wide.

The hosts' penalty came as a result of the subsequent corner. Williams was the man who stepped up to take the kick, slotting past Anyon despite the Iron’s goalkeeper getting a touch.

After the goal, the away side managed to settle into the game, and were awarded a free kick on the edge of the Millwall box on the 15 minute mark. Morris stepped up to take it but, despite connecting with it well, the effort went just wide of Tom King’s goal.

The lead should have been doubled nine minutes before the break after great work down the right wing from the home side. Morison whipped the ball in, but Shane Ferguson couldn’t keep his shot down at the far post.

Despite not creating many opportunities, United looked comfortable on the ball, but it was Millwall who had the last chance of the first 45 minutes. However, Ferguson couldn’t keep his shot down.

United started the second half confidently and got at the Millwall defence from the off. Ivan Toney hooked an effort towards goal on the half-volley in the first two minutes, which was tipped over by King.

Toney then forced another save from King with a free-kick soon after, as it was tipped over. The resulting corner was then dealt with by the home side.

Millwall doubled their lead on 56 minutes when Mahlon Romeo crossed dangerously, and Ferguson was there to volley home from a few yards out.

The away side looked to get themselves back in the game soon after the goal but, after Morris laid it into the path of Crooks, the on-loan midfielder couldn’t get his effort on target.

Stephen Dawson was the next man in green to send an effort goal bound, but his volley was well held by King.

The match was effectively ended shortly before the 70-minute mark, when Aiden O’Brien’s clever first-time finish evaded Anyon, making it 3-0 to Millwall.

United did score a consolation goal with the last kick of the game, after Morris’ free kick from the right wing was nodded home by Crooks, to end the scoring at 3-1.

Millwall: King, Hutchinson, Craig, Williams, Thompson, Romeo, Wallace (Worrall, 73), Webster, Ferguson (Onyedinma, 75), Morison, O'Brien (Butcher, 80).
Substitutes not used: Girling, Cooper, Cummings, Abdou.

Scunthorpe United: Anyon, Wallace, Mirfin, Dawson, Madden (Davies, 73), Morris, Townsend, Toney (Adelakun, 73), Ness, Crooks, Sutton.
Substitutes not used: Watson, Bishop, Toffolo, Burdett, Dyche.

Advertisement block