Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


2 November 2016

The Iron's youth team defeated their Grimsby Town counterparts in the first round of the FA Youth Cup on Wednesday night.

The Iron got off to a lively start when George Barmby tried an acrobatic effort on three minutes, but his shot was blocked.

They continued to attack, and Lewis McMichael sent an effort wide on seven minutes as the pressure continued.

United were rewarded for their early attacks in the ninth minute when Barmby superbly headed home from close range after an excellent cross by Lewis Butroid.

Just two minutes later, the Iron doubled their advantage when Leslie Sackey latched on to a throughball and neatly finished past Oakley Heath-Drury.

With 14 minutes on the clock, Kyle Porter tested Heath-Drury in the Grimsby goal with a right-footed drive. The shot was well held by the Mariners stopper.

In the 21st minute, Sackey went close to getting his second of night with a header which flew inches wide of the post.

Three minutes later, a surging run from Butroid was almost rewarded with a goal, as the full back's effort was saved by Heath-Drury.

On 26 minutes, Grimsby had an almost identical effort from Sawyer, which flew over the crossbar, only this time to be deflected behind for a corner.

In the 39th minute, courageous defending from George Hornshaw prevented the visitors from getting a shot on target, as he blocked a powerful shot.

Just before half-time, Myles Lawman tried a dipping effort from the right of the box which flashed just past Adam Kelsey's right post.

Two minutes after the restart, a potential chance for United was snuffed out by some good Mariners defending, as Barmby advanced into the box. Hornshaw's shot from the edge of the penalty area was then blocked by a Grimsby defender.

With 54 minutes on the clock, Butroid's curling free-kick from distance flew over the crossbar and out for a goal kick.

In the 61st minute, there was a great opportunity for Barmby to get his second with a close range header, but Heath-Drury grabbed the ball well.

Ten minutes later, McMichael's strong run down the right resulted in the full-back finding Fortunate Sithole, who saw his shot blocked.

On 77 minutes, a great cutback from Barmby almost found it's way to Allasan, with the striker being ushered off the ball in the area.

There were three late changes for the Iron as the game petered out, and Kyle Porter volleyed over the crossbar from close range with two minutes remaining.

Then Lewis McMichael broke through late on but was thwarted by goalkeeper Heath-Drury. Soon after, Ewan Train drilled a strike wide.

Those were the final chances of the game as Tony Daws' side reached the second round of the competition.

Scunthorpe United:
Kelsey, McMichael, Butroid, Porter, Lilley, Sackey, Dean-Atkinson, Hornshaw, Barmby (Busby, 85), Allasan (Bartholomew, 90), Sithole (Train, 83).
Substitutes not used: Parker, Colclough.

Grimsby Town: Heath-Drury, McMillan, Lawis, Lawman, Hough, Keeble, Buckley (Goddard, 63), Sawyer, Burchell, Slater, Lofts (Flowerdew, 72).
Substitutes not used: Davis, Evans, Jamieson.

Tweets by @SUFCTickets

Advertisement block