Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


18 May 2016

We continue looking back at the 2015/16 season, moving into August and the start of the team's SkyBet League One exploits...

IRON (Hopper, 12, 15) 2-2 LINCOLN CITY (Power, (pen) 35, Rhead, 68)
Scunthorpe win 6-5 on penalties
For a full report for this match, click here.

The Iron made it through to the final of the Lincolnshire Senior Cup less than 24-hours after defeating Notts County at Meadow Lane. 

Tom Hopper netted both goals for Scunthorpe in a quickfire double before Alan Power halved the deficit from the penalty spot. Matt Rhead fired home from six yards to restore parity and send the game to penalties.

Jack Dyche, fresh from netting the winner at Meadow Lane, dispatched the winning penalty to put Scunthorpe through to face Gainsborough Trinity in the final.

DISPATCHED: Jack Dyche fires home the winning penalty to put the Iron through to the final of the Lincolnshire Senior Cup.


Following the end of pre-season, it was announced that Stephen Dawson would captain the side going into the 2015/16 season, with Jack King appointed vice-captain.

You can read this story by clicking here.


Ahead of the season opener at Burton Albion, Irishman Paddy Madden signed a new three-year deal with the club.

The striker penned the deal to keep him at the club until the summer of 2018.

You can read this story by clicking here.

BURTON ALBION (Beavon, 55, Akins (pen) 72) 2-1 IRON (Goode, 90+3)
For a full report for this match, click here.

Newly-promoted Burton Albion triumphed over ten men Scunthorpe, with all the goals coming in the second half.

The Brewers took momentum from their exploits in League Two in the previous campaign, with Stuart Beavon breaking the deadlock ten minutes after the interval before the flash point twenty minutes from time which saw goalkeeper Luke Daniels dismissed and Lucas Akins convert from the resultant penalty.

Charlie Goode netted in injury time on his United debut to halve the deficit.

IRON (Madden, (pen) 52) 1-1 BARNSLEY (Scowen, (pen) 47)
Barnsley win 7-6 on penalties
For a full report for this match, click here.

After a penalty save from Joe Anyon in the first half, two further spot kicks were awarded in the second half - and dispatched to send the Capital One Cup tie into extra time and penalties at Glanford Park.

Josh Scowen fired home his penalty two minutes after the interval, with Paddy Madden netting five minutes later. The Tykes made it through to round two though following a 7-6 victory in what was a story of penalties.

IRON (Madden 10, 65) 2-0 CREWE ALEXANDRA
For a full report for this match, click here.

Madden struck a brace to see of Crewe at Glanford Park. The Irishman netted a goal in each half to secure Scunthorpe's first victory of the campaign, first converting from Hopper's perfect right-winged cross before he clinically finished from the edge of the area for his second.

OFF THE MARK: The Iron players celebrate Madden's second goal with the fans, which sealed their first three points of the season.

WIGAN ATHLETIC (Grigg, (pen) 3, Daniels 27, Davies, 70) 3-0 IRON
For a full report for this match, click here.

The Iron lost convincingly to the side who would end the campaign as Champions, with a 3-0 reverse at the DW Stadium.

Will Grigg opened the scoring after an early penalty was conceded by the Iron before Donervon Daniels and Craig Davies added to the Latics' tally.

For a full report for this match, click here.

Scunthorpe were left to rue a missed penalty from Madden following a goalless encounter at Glanford Park.

The complete shutout for both teams was the first the Iron had been involved in for 56 league matches with Madden three times brilliantly denied by Millwall's shotstopper Jordan Archer before he blazed over a penalty in the second half.

The Irishman also had a header ruled out for offside as he wheeled away in celebration.

COLCHESTER UNITED (Moncur, 33, Elokobi, 81) 2-2 IRON (van Veen, 7, Madden, 18)
For a full report for this match, click here.

Scunthorpe squandered a two-goal lead at the Weston Homes Community Stadium, eventually settling for a point.

Kevin van Veen steered home a 30-yard free kick for the opener before Madden broke the offside trap from a cross-field ball from Scott Laird, racing clear and firing past the 'keeper.

George Moncur halved the deficit before the break before George Elokobi grabbed a point with nine minutes remaining on the clock.


August's goal of the month came from a deadball situation. With the scores goalless at the Weston Homes Community Stadium, a free kick was awarded to the Iron 30-yards from goal. Kevin van Veen took the kick, looping the ball over the wall and into the bottom left-hand corner of the net.



Rory Watson - on loan from Hull City (August 10, 2015) 
Murray Wallace - on loan from Huddersfield Town (August 25, 2015)


Andrew Boyce - on loan to Hartlepool United (August 20, 2015)
David Beeby - General Manager / Club Secretary - Cardiff City (August 25, 2015)
Paul Harsley - Professional Development Coach - Birmingham City (August 26, 2015)


92Live sees supporters presented with 12th Man tickets -

Iron appoint Steve Taylor as Chief Scout -

In memoriam : Alan Edgar -

In memoriam : Frank Marshall -

Players visit 12th Man holder in hospital -

Great experience for Presley -

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block