Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


29 March 2016

A very youthful Iron development side was beaten 4-0 by Chesterfield at Brigg's Hawthorns on Tuesday afternoon.

United had their first chance in the opening 10 seconds as Jack Dyche, fresh from signing a professional deal, drove at the defence before firing wide.

Nevertheless, the visiting side took the lead within two minutes. Jake Orrell sidefooted a volley over Ben Ledger from the edge of the box, with a great finish.

On six minutes, Laurence Maguire doubled their advantage with a header, getting on the end of a corner. Ledger got a touch to the ball but could only push into the roof of the net.

Two minutes later, Ledger was called into action again - making a great save from point blank range after the away side found space in the box.

Noel Burdett tried to test with a free-kick moments later but his effort hit the wall and was deflected away for a corner.

Soon after, there was good combination work between Dyche and Burdett which saw the latter's deflected shot go wide for another corner.

Ewan Train took the subsequent set-piece finding Dyche at the far post. His free header was straight at Aaron Chapman though.

With 18 minutes on the clock, the Spireites added a third goal. Great work down the left from the visitors saw a square ball find Callum Greaves. He miss-hit his shot, but a deflection took it beyond Ledger.

Ten minutes later, Chesterfield's Rai Simons fired over the crossbar from the left after latching onto a crossfield ball.

On 31 minutes, the Iron won a corner after a miscued clearance. Leslie Sackey and Burdett both went to attack the cross but it was just too high for both.

The half petered out with few more chances of note as the two sides went in for the interval.

In the 51st minute, there was a chance for the Iron as Burdett fired a cross in for Lewis Butroid, who diverted the ball wide of the mark.

Chesterfield added their fourth just three minutes later though, as Simmons stabbed the ball into the net from outside the area after the Iron failed to clear the ball.

United had a penalty shout turned down soon after, as Burdett looked to be felled. The referee dismissed the claims though.

There were few oppotunities in the second period, as the Iron's youngsters defended well in this second half and limited Chesterfield's opportunities to only half-chances from range.

They were restricted to speculative opportunities such as Tom Chapman's on 83 minutes. He went on a driving run from centre-back but fired wide after entering the area.

With a minute left on the clock, George Hornshaw had a late effort for the Iron, working space on the edge before drawing Chapman into a decent save to his left.

Scunthorpe United:
Ledger, McMichael, Sithole, Dean-Atkinson, Sackey, Butroid, Shilling (Ablett, 72), Barber (Hornshaw, 45), Dyche, Burdett, Train.
Substitutes not used: Parker, Bartholomew, Colclough.

Chesterfield: Chapman, Hudson, Daley, Humphreys, Marshall, Maguire, Simmons (Morrison, 62), Herd (Jarrald, 62), Greaves, Orrell (Daswell, 62), Keiller.
Substitutes not used: Parkin.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block