Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


24 March 2016

The fourth meeting of the season with the Tykes will be the 42nd encounter in the two club's history.

103 goals have been scored in the games averaging 2.5 goals per game, with a goalless encounter very rare between the two sides.

In fact there have only been three in the 41 games that have been played, all within the new century. The last of which was the 0-0 draw at Oakwell in 2013 in the League Cup which led to the Iron's exit from the competition on penalties. 

The Iron will be looking to complete a league double over Barnsley for the first time since 1959 after winning 2-0 in the reverse fixture at Glanford Park earlier in the campaign. Last time out at Oakwell, a Paddy Madden brace sealed a 2-1 victory for Scunthorpe - their first win at the stadium in 55 years.

09/08/05 – Scunthorpe United 2-1 Barnsley

Cast your minds into the not so distant past in 2005, following the Iron’s promotion back to League One. Following a 2-0 defeat to Brentford on the opening day of the season, the Iron were keen to get one up on their rivals. It was a game which saw the early return of Paul Hayes, following his controversial departure to the Tykes. It was the former Iron striker, who was prominent in Scunthorpe’s promotion that put the visitors ahead inside 16 minutes. Hayes celebrated in front of the Iron fans after netting past Paul Musselwhite, but it would be the hosts who would have the last laugh come the end of the game.

Referee Alan Wiley gave Scunthorpe the chance to restore parity 12 minutes later, Andy Crosby slotting home a penalty after a foul in the box. Step up Cleveland Taylor. The substitute had only been on the pitch three minutes when he stormed down the right in the 71st minute, nearly smashing the net off as he put the Iron in front.

10/12/05 – Barnsley 5-2 Scunthorpe United

The reverse fixture of that season saw the Iron go down to a heavy defeat in the League, with them 4-0 down with only two minutes remaining. Martin Devaney, Bobby Hassell, Marc Richards and Chris Shuker netted for the Tykes, before Peter Beagrie pulled one back from the spot in the 89th minute in a three minute goal frenzy. Both Paul Hayes (for Barnsley) and Neil MacKenzie netted to complete the seven goal thriller, with many fans missing the last three goals through leaving early.

01/01/08 – Scunthorpe United 2-2 Barnsley

The New Year’s Day fixture against the Tykes in the Championship offered a change in fortunes for the Iron as they aimed to beat the drop in their first season back in English football’s second tier. It was the hosts who had much of the first half play and were eventually rewarded for their exploits, with Ian Morris netting on the stroke of half time.

The second half started in the same vein, with the Iron netting just over a minute after the restart. Kelly Youga stormed in at the back post to double Scunthorpe’s advantage in his last game in his loan spell, as he went back to parent club Charlton Athletic following the game.

The comeback was on for the visitors 16 minutes from time when referee Clive Oliver awarded a free kick to Barnsley 20 yards from goal. Grant McCann, of Barnsley, later to switch teams, smashed his initial effort into the wall, before sending his second shot on the volley directly into the net. It was a good finish, building the Tykes up for their last minute response.

It was a controversial one, coming deep into stoppage time, but with a scramble in the box, the ball bounced onto the hand of skipper Andy Crosby, who was punished. With his hands by his sides, there was nothing the former Oxford defender could do, but it gave Brian Howard the chance to restore parity, which he expertly achieved in front of his own fans.

16/04/54 – Scunthorpe United 6-0 Barnsley
01/01/74 – Barnsley 5-0 Scunthorpe United
06/11/76 – Barnsley 5-1 Scunthorpe United
02/01/10 – Scunthorpe United 1-0 Barnsley [FA CUP]

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block