Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


15 July 2016

The Iron slipped to a 2-1 defeat in their latest pre-season fixture, losing to Austrian side FC Liefering.

After going behind early on in the match, Tom Hopper had levelled things up. However, the hosts restored their lead mid-way through the second period to take the victory.

United made a bright start to proceedings, and created the first opening of the game when Hopper almost got onto the end of a ball played into the FC Liefering area – he was denied by some smart goalkeeping though.

Iron shotstopper Luke Daniels was soon called into action however, and he was forced into making three saves in the space of three minutes shortly after Hopper had gone close.

Fifteen minutes into the match, Hopper had the ball in the net, but the goal was chalked off as he was stood in an offside position when Paddy Madden headed across the penalty area.

Moments later though, the Austrians got their noses in front through Nico Gorzel, who slotted the ball home from 20 yards after being found on the edge of the box, following some good attacking play down the right flank.

It didn't take the visitors long to get themselves back on terms however, with Hopper heading in from two yards out after the ball was sent back across goal by a FC Liefering man.

Josh Morris then went close to completing the turnaround, but his free kick drifted just past the outside of the post.

Graham Alexander's men continued to probe for a second ahead of the half time interval, but those efforts would be in vain as both sides went in level at the break.

After the restart, the Iron were quickly back on the front foot, with Wiseman testing the FC Liefering 'keeper via a header - the defender would be denied by a good stop though.

As the game entered into its final third, it was United who continued to apply the pressure, and it was the turn of Hakeeb Adelakun to go for goal this time, as he sent a free kick just over the crossbar.

The dominance would count for little however as, soon after ten substitutions were made, the Austrians re-took the lead with a shot from Filip that Iron 'keeper Anyon couldn't keep out.

Scott Laird was keen to get his side back on the front foot 20 minutes from time, and he took aim, firing just wide of the goal.

With the game coming to it's conclusion, United threw everything they had at the home side. Van Veen found Holmes with six minutes to play, but his cross could only find the FC Liefering 'keeper's hands.

Then after a succession of corners, which had seen Jack King go close, Sutton crossed for Goode, but the centre back planted his header wide, much to his frustration.

This would prove to be the last action of a game which the Iron will probably count themselves unlucky to not get something from, after opening up the hosts on more than a number of occassions.

Iron team (first 60 mins): Daniels, Wiseman, Wallace, Madden, Morris, Bishop, Hopper, Adelakun, Townsend, Ness, Clarke.

Iron team (final 30 mins): Anyon, Laird, King, Mirfin, Dawson, van Veen, Adelakun, Holmes, Goode, Wootton, Sutton.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block