Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


12 July 2016

To say today wasn't exactly what anyone planned is a little bit of an understatement...

We often moan about the Great British weather, but the unpredictability of the Austrian weather has proven itself to change in the blink of an eye on more than one occasion. The location does tend to host a number of thunderstorms and torrential downpours but these are often quick and pass over quickly albeit a lot of precipitation occurs in a short space of time.

After two tiring days, it was a brisk walk on the same route that had been ran on morning number one ahead of breakfast, with the rise time remaining at 6.30AM (5.30AM UK time). I would then send myself on a near-7km bike ride following breakfast, heading up to the main lake in Obertraun in the hunt of fresh scenery and a spot of extra exercise.

It's nearly time for training, but here are some images from around Obertraun this morning. # 🇦🇹

— Scunthorpe United FC (@SUFCOfficial)July 12, 2016

The morning training session continued as normal as the players prepared for their first of two matches. That would include the usual drills, along with a match situation session ahead of the evening fixture.

Lunch and pre-match came and went and with an hours coach ride to Gschwandt in the offing, the squad set off at 3.45PM to their destination, arriving in the 25 degree heat. United were greeted by superb hospitality and it was evident amongst the locals and opposition players that our presence was huge and it truly was a massive game in their history.

Kyle Wootton put Scunthorpe ahead after seven minutes and the Iron did threaten to add to the scoreline with Hakeeb Adelakun, Kevin van Veen and Luke Williams all going close before the storm floated in after around 25 minutes.

Moments later the signal was cut due to the ferocity of the storm ascending and I was forced to watch the game without providing coverage to supporters back home. That wouldn't last long either. Six minutes later and exactly thirty-one minutes and six seconds into the game the referee would blow what would eventually be the full time whistle, with the storm reaching its maximum velocity.

Within minutes, the pitch was waterlogged beyond repair and even after the storm had blown over, the match never looked likely to resume. My signal eventually returned to break the news to the Iron supporters with it confirmed to us minutes later that the game would not be restarting.

📷 The weather then took control, bringing a premature end to proceedings. # 🇦🇹

— Scunthorpe United FC (@SUFCOfficial)July 12, 2016

Speaking with Iron boss Graham Alexander after the game, that will change the plans for the rest of the week, with an 11 v 11 game likely between two United sides tomorrow. You can view that interview exclusively on The Iron PlayerHD.


06:30AM: All staff and players rise for the day ahead.
06:45AM: A brisk 2.5 mile walk for everyone ahead of breakfast.
09:00AM: A personal 7km bike ride seeing me head to the lakes of Obertraun.
10:30AM: A morning session ahead of the evening match.
12:30PM: Lunch.
3:00PM: Pre-match.
3:45PM: The Iron travel to Gschwandt ahead of the evening fixture.
6:30PM: Kick-off.
6:37PM: Kyle Wootton slots the Iron ahead after good work from Luke Williams.
7:01PM: Rain halts play in Gschwandt.
7:24PM: Match abandoned.

Eventful day and not quite what I had in mind covering a game this evening. # 🇦🇹

— James Moody (@jamesiron95)July 12, 2016

Advertisement block