Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


4 January 2016

The Iron continued their unbeaten run into 2016 as they drew 1-1 with high-flying Wigan at Glanford Park.

Luke Williams gave United the lead, but Wigan hit back through influential midfielder Michael Jacobs, keeping their promotion push going.

Mark Robins’ side dropped to 15th after the draw, while Wigan are in 5th place and have a game in hand on some of those around them.

Elsewhere in League One, Burton moved back to the top of the table with an impressive win against Blackpool, despite going down to 10 men.

They had Robbie Weir dismissed before half-time, but continued to press and found a winner through Mark Duffy.

That moved them above previous leaders Walsall, who suffered a 3-0 reverse at home to Rochdale. It was the first suffered by new boss Sean O’Driscoll.

A brace from Calvin Andrew and an Ian Henderson strike helped the visitors to a convincing victory and into ninth place.

Gillingham also climbed above Walsall and into second, beating Bradford 3-0 at home to make it four consecutive wins.

Bradley Dack, Rory Donnelly and Doug Loft all found the net to give the Gills a convincing win and move them up the table.

Fourth placed Coventry won again, heaping more misery on bottom of the league Crewe with an emphatic 5-0 victory.

League One’s top marksman Adam Armstrong netted a hat-trick, with fellow loanee Jacob Murphy grabbing the other two.

Peterborough held on to the final play-off spot following a hard-fought 3-2 win at fellow chasers Sheffield United.

The Posh had led twice, only for the Blades to equalise both times, but Martin Samuelsen scored six minutes from time to win it

At the bottom, Colchester climbed off the foot of the table and ended their losing streak, but had to settle for just a draw with Oldham.

Chris Porter cancelled out Rhys Murphy’s opener, meaning the points were shared and that both side remain in the bottom four.

Fleetwood climber out though as they beat Bury 2-0, with goals Ash Hunter and Bobby Grant securing an important win.

Chesterfield also pulled clear as they beat fellow strugglers Shrewsbury 7-1 to leapfrog them and end their winless run.

Lee Novak grabbed a hat-trick, with Rai Simons and Jay O’Shea both scoring braces. Zak Whitbread got the Shrewsbury goal.

Barnsley continued their recent revival, with Sam Winnall and Adam Hammill on target as they beat Millwall 2-1, denting the Lions’ play-off ambitions.

Southend also suffered a setback in their play-off chase as they lost 3-0 at home to Doncaster, who climbed into the top half.

Andy Williams, Aaron Taylor-Sinclair and Nathan Tyson were all on target for the visitors as they moved into 11th.

Meanwhile, the game between Port Vale and Swindon was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

Next up for the Iron is the trip to Premier League side Chelsea in the Emirates FA Cup and Mark Robins’ side will be hoping to carry on their good form of late.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block