Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


25 January 2016

The Iron's youth team twice came from behind to register a 3-3 draw against Grimsby Town on Saturday morning.

Having not had a game in five weeks, while the Mariners had one just seven days ago, United did well to recover an initial two-goal deficit before half time and then score late on to secure a point in the six-goal thriller.

The result means that Scunthorpe United's academy string remain top of the league with fourteen games played and ten remaining.

Grimsby took advantage of a swift counter attack to break the deadlock early on following a free-kick to the Iron which hit the defending wall. The speed of the counter-attack caught United out, with the Grimsby striker calmly slotting past Ben Ledger.

1-0 soon became 2-0 after a free kick was awarded after a partial clearance found it's way to the edge of the area. The free kick was swung back into the area for a free header to be planted into the goal.

United's response was encouraging, however, with Noel Burdett providing Jack Dyche to half the deficit. Burdett used his pace down the right before planting a pinpoint cross on Dyche's head. He buried the header into the net from the penalty spot.

Just a minute later, the Iron were level. Burdett broke clear through the middle, again using his pace to elude the last defender, before slotting past the onrushing keeper.

Into the second half, Scunthorpe fell behind for a second time, but responded before the final whistle - with Harvey Ablett equalising to rescue a point. Ablett went one-on-one with the goalkeeper with the final defender not too far behind him. The goalkeeper emerged from his goal but remained powerless as Ablett deftly lifted the ball over the goalkeeper.

Academy manager Tony Daws said: "It was a very competitive match and I must say credit to Grimsby as they have improved massively from when we beat them 4-0 on the opening day of the season.

"To be fair to our lads, we came back and had a really good go, got back into the game and had a really good spell just before half time. The worst thing that happened was half time coming.

"The lads showed good character to come back from 2-0 down and then 3-2 down to equalise and there were positives to take from the game.

"The big thing psychologically was that the lads responded really well to going behind and a positive was that we had four under-16's on the pitch.

"One of them scored and one of them played ninety minutes, which is really good going forward. Another positive is, because of other results, we are still top of the league. It's about development, but at the end of the day we are still top."

The Iron's academy side are next in action when they face Mansfield Town away from home, kick-off 11am.

Daws added: "It will be another tough match and we look forward to that."

IRON TEAM: Ledger, McMichael, Cleminshaw, Barker, Butroid, Dean-Atkinson, Sithole, Hornshaw, Dyche, Burdett (Tolchard, 70), Train (Ablett, 46).

Advertisement block