Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


8 August 2016

Beginning a brand new post-match web feature, we relive all of the essential information from Saturday's 3-1 victory over Bristol Rovers.


The Iron opened the season with three points for the first time in three years, equalling a club record in the process.

They were forced to come from behind at half time though, following Matty Taylor's first half strike before Kevin van Veen rifled United level just after the hour. Josh Morris took the ball from his own half to fire in a debut goal nine minutes from time which proved to be the matchwinner, while substitute Kyle Wootton sealed the victory deep into stoppage time, hitting the ball on the half-volley from the edge of the area, with it rolling past former loanee shot stopper Steve Mildenhall.

To view a full match report from the game, click here.


Relive our minute-by-minute coverage of the game either on our Twitter page or via our Scribble Live feature, embedded into the website.


You can also view extended highlights of the 3-1 victory on The Iron PlayerHD, by clicking here.

GOPRO -See the three Iron goals from our camera behind the goal on The Iron PlayerHD, by clicking here.


Following the game, Iron manager Graham Alexander hailed his sides second half performance which saw them come from a goal behind to win 3-1, with three different players getting off the mark for the campaign. To read his full reaction, click on the image below.

To view his full interview on The Iron PlayerHD, click here.

Goalscorers Kevin van Veen and Josh Morris both spoke following the game. Click on their respective images below to read full written reaction from the duo.

To view Josh's full interview on The Iron PlayerHD, click here.

To view Kevin's full interview on The Iron PlayerHD, click here.


You can view a full gallery of the game, presented by photographers Luke Broughton and Steve Hope, by clicking here or on the image below.

MORRIS' DEBUT GOAL: Josh Morris watches on as his strike flies into the roof of the net, past the despairing dive of Steve Mildenhall.


The Iron end the opening weekend of the campaign in third place on alphabetical order with Gillingham and Walsall both also registering 3-1 victories. Millwall, meanwhile, are top following going one better and keeping a clean sheet against Oldham.

Milton Keynes Dons and Bolton Wanderers, who were both relegated from the Championship, enjoyed three points after struggling seasons last time out, while Charlton's misery continued away at Bury as they were defeated 2-0.

Last season's League Two Champions Northampton Town drew 1-1 with Fleetwood Town, while promoted sides Bristol Rovers and AFC Wimbledon both tasted 3-1 defeats. Oxford United, the other side to get promoted from the EFL's basement division, drew 1-1 with Chesterfield - Ched Evans getting off the mark for the Spireites on his return to football.

Elsewhere there was opening day despair for former Scunthorpe goalkeeper Josh Lillis as he handed all three points on a plate to Peterborough in the 89th minute with the scores level at 2-2. He fumbled a cross into the path of Gwion Edwards to give the Posh the win.


Bolton Wanderers 1-0 Sheffield United
Bradford City 0-0 Port Vale
Bury 2-0 Charlton Athletic
Millwall 3-0 Oldham Athletic
Northampton Town 1-1 Fleetwood Town
Oxford United 1-1 Chesterfield
Rochdale 2-3 Peterborough United
Shrewsbury Town 0-1 Milton Keynes Dons
Southend United 1-3 Gillingham
Swindon Town 1-0 Coventry City
Walsall 3-1 AFC Wimbledon


AFC Wimbledon v Bolton Wanderers
Charlton Athletic v Northampton Town
Chesterfield v Swindon Town
Coventry City v Shrewsbury Town
Fleetwood Town v Scunthorpe United
Gillingham v Bury
MK Dons v Millwall
Oldham Athletic v Walsall
Peterborough United v Bradford City
Port Vale v Southend United
Sheffield United v Rochdale

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block