Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


4 April 2016

The Iron lost for the first time under Graham Alexander as they slipped to a narrow 1-0 defeat at Bradford.

Steven Davies netted the only goal of a tight encounter to enhance the Bantams’ play-off aspirations and move them up to fifth.

The result puts an end to the Iron’s unbeaten run of eight matches and leaves them trailing the top six by ten points.

Elsewhere in League One, Wigan moved to the top of the table after an emphatic 5-1 win at ten-man Shrewsbury.

Sullay Kaikai gave the hosts the lead, but Conor McAleny, Yanic Wildschut, Jason Pearce and a Will Grigg brace helped Wigan to the top spot.

They climbed above Burton, who could only manage a 1-1 draw at home to Bury and played the final stages with ten men.

Ryan Lowe looked to have given Bury the points following Hamza Choudhury’s sending off, but Tyler Walker pounced in injury time to rescue a point.

Third placed Walsall find themselves eight points adrift of the top two as they slipped to a 2-0 defeat to Sheffield United.

Goals from Chris Basham and Billy Sharp were enough to give the Blades victory and maintain their play-off hopes.

Gillingham failed to take advantage of Walsall and Burton dropping points as they could only draw 0-0 with Coventry.

Millwall also missed the opportunity, drawing 0-0 with Colchester who continued their recent revival to move seven points from safety.

At the bottom, Crewe face an uphill battle to retain their League One status as they fell to a 3-0 defeat at Peterborough.

Harry Beautyman grabbed a brace and Lee Angol added a third midway through the second half to secure a comfortable victory.

Doncaster were denied a vital three points late in injury time, with Iron loanee Niall Canavan netting in Rochdale’s 2-2 draw.

Callum Camps gave Dale the lead, but Mitchell Lund and Andy Butler looked to have turned things around, only for Canavan to strike late on.

Fourth bottom Oldham were not in action over the weekend due to Barnsley’s involvement in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy final.

Fleetwood could not take full advantage as they had to settle for a point against Swindon, with Nicky Ajose cancelling out Wes Burns’ opener for the strugglers.

Their local rivals Blackpool were able to capitalise though, beating play-off chasing Southend 2-0 to extend their unbeaten run to four games.

Mark Cullen and Jacob Blyth were both on target to bring Pool four points clear of the bottom four.

Meanwhile, Chesterfield also boosted their survival hopes with a 4-2 win over Port Vale, despite Ajay Leitch-Smith giving Vale the lead.

Jamal Campbell-Ryce, Sam Hird, Gboly Ariyibi and Jay O’Shea secured a crucial victory, with JJ Hooper grabbing Vale’s other goal.

The Iron welcome promotion chasing Burton next time, with Graham Alexander’s side looking to end the season strongly.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block