Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


13 April 2016

United's development team drew 1-1 at home to their Notts County counterparts on Wednesday night.

The Iron had the first chance of the game in the fifth minute, when Jack Dyche's effort was cleared off the line after good work down the left from Dominic Vose and Kyle Wootton.

A minute later, a corner from the right for United caused danger in the visitors' box. The ball bobbled and deflected into Wootton's path but he headed over the crossbar.

In the ninth minute, the visitors had their first attempt at goal, as Genaro Snijders tried a speculative effort from distance but drove well wide.

On 11 minutes, the Iron were next to attack and, after the ball bounced around the area, Dyche fired over the bar with a volley.

Four minutes later, there was a chance for County. After a corner from the right, Kyle De Silva let the ball drop to his right foot before drilling wide.

In the 20th minute, there was more good attacking play from the Iron as Dyche's throughball found Wootton, whose left-footed shot was saved well by Roy Carroll.

Jordan Aghatsie headed wide from a left wing corner by the visitors in the 27th minute.

The 33rd minute saw an Iron chance as Scott Laird and Wootton linked up on the left before the former crossed into the centre for Jack King, whose header was saved.

On 38 minutes, Snijders drew a superb stop from home goalkeeper Joe Parker with a free-kick from 25 yards which was curling into the right corner, but he tipped over.

Two minutes later, Parker was called into action again. Sarpong was played into space for County, but the Iron custodian blocked away the close range strike.

The away side took the lead in the 42nd minute though, as Montel Gibson struck home from close range with the final chance of the opening half after receiving a cross from the right.

There was a substitution at half-time for the hosts, with Stephen Dawson being replaced by Noel Burdett.

The teenager made a near instant impact too, setting up his side's equalising goal. A great throughball by the second year trainee found Wootton, whose first touch saw him beat his man before firing past Carroll.

County looked to respond straight away, as Snijders lurked with the ball on the edge of the area before drilling a shot which Parker tipped around the post.

There was a second Scunthorpe alteration on the hour mark, as King was replaced by James Dean-Atkinson.

Three minutes later. Vose cut inside from the left and drove forward before drilling a right footed strike wide of goal.

Amevor was next to come close for the visitors on 68 minutes, driving forward before firing a strike which went narrowly wide of Parker's left-hand post.

Just a minute later, Parker made another great save. Gibson beat his man before firing hard and low, but the United shotstopper tipped around his right-hand post

Lewis Butroid replaced Scott Laird on 72 minutes, and Parker was soon called into action again - getting down well to save Kyle De Silva's effort after he turned and struck goalwards from 12 yards

There was one more Scunthope alteration in the 82nd minute when Fortunate Sithole replaced Jack Dyche, and the substitute came close when his late effort was deflected out for a corner.

The game ended all square as United finished their home development campaign.

Scunthorpe United:
Parker, King (Dean-Atkinson, 60), Trialist A, Dawson (Burdett, 45), Wootton, Dyche (Sithole, 82), Vose, Trialist B, Laird (Butroid, 72), Trialist C, Sutton.
Substitutes not used: Musselwhite.

Notts County: Carroll, Wildin, Layton (Brownhill, 64), McMillan, Amevor, Aghatsie, Sarpong, De Silva, Banton (Osborne, 56), Gibson (Rutty-Smith, 72), Snijders.
Substitutes not used: Pilkington.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block