Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


20 April 2016

Jack Dyche scored for the Iron in the development side's final game of the season, a 1-1 draw away at Grimsby.

The Iron got off to a good start in the first minute, as Jack King and Levi Sutton combined to allow Lewis Butroid to find Scott Laird. His cross was just beyond Trialist D.

A minute later, there was another good move for the Iron as the ball was spread to Trialist B. Dyche tried to latch onto his ball, but it was gathered by Warrington.

In the fourth minute, Scott Laird fired the first effort on goal wide from 25 yards after a quick throw in to Dominic Vose allowed a neat interchange with Dyche.

On 11 minutes, Vose took a corner, with Trialist C winning a header, but the ball flew narrowly over the bar.

United had a goal disallowed in the 16th minute as Noel Burdett spun in the middle to find Trialist D, who drew a terrific save from Andy Warrington. Dyche put the ball into the net from close range, but it was the trialist who was flagged offside.

The Town shotstopper made another save a minute later, as Dyche curled an effort towards the far post for the Iron, but Warrington parried the ball.

Scunthorpe had a further goal ruled out on 24 minutes, as Dyche headed home a Trialist B cross from the right after great work involving Burdett, but the strike was chalked off.

The 31st minute then saw United hit the woodwork. Brilliant control from Burdett saw him send a ball over to Laird, who broke the offside trap before crashing the ball off the upright and back into play.

The Iron took the lead on 34 minutes, as Dyche finally got his goal, breaking the offside trap after a quickly-taken Sutton free kick found him after Burdett was fouled. He broke through to fire the ball into the roof of the net, past Warrington from ten yards out.

There was a further opportunity for United three minutes later. A brilliant ball over the top from Laird found Dyche, who advanced the ball to Trialist D. He drew a spectacular save from Warrington, who parried before Burdett sent over another cross for Dyche who headed narrowly over the bar.

Four minutes into the second half Scunthorpe came close again. Laird latched onto a brilliant crossfield ball before firing in a low cross. Trialist D found Dyche who headed over.

There was a tremendous save again from Warrington on 50 minutes, as Dyche broke the offside trap from Burdett's through ball, but he was denied superbly.

The 56th minute saw a free kick to Grimsby following a foul from Trialist B. The hosts played short before drawing Trialist A into a save.

There was a 20 minute spell of few clearcut chances before the Iron were next to come close on 76 minutes. He side-stepped his man before firing a pass into Trialist D. He fired over from 25 yards.

The 80th minute saw a brilliant save from Trialist A after a slip at the back put Grimsby through. The 'keeper saved the effort.

With 83 minutes on the clock, Vose forced Warrington to tip the ball over the bar after an effort with the outside of his boot from the left.

Two minutes later, the ball spread to McMichael on the left wing, he opened up and fizzed a cross in which just skipped wide of the far post.

However, the hosts levelled the scores with seconds remaining after a good advantage from the referee, a square ball and an easy finish. Sawyer side-footed home Lofts' cross.

Iron: Trialist A, Trialist B, Laird (McMichael, 71), King (Dean-Atkinson, 88), Trialist C, Butroid, Burdett, Sutton, Trialist D, Dyche (Sackey, 88), Vose.
Substitute not used: Musselwhite.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block