Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


5 April 2016

A youthful Iron development side lost 3-1 to Gateshead after battling with ten men for over 70 minutes.

Scunthorpe started well and came close on five minutes when Harvey Ablett eventually played over the top for Leslie Sackey. The Gateshead shotstopper did well to stop the effort though.

Two minutes later, Parker dealt with a low cross into the box from the right, gathering low down close to his post.

Straight after, there was another good piece of goalkeeping from Parker as he dived to his left to prevent a shot finding the bottom corner after the attacker tried to go through and latch onto the end of the ball.

With ten minutes on the clock, Sackey shot over the crossbar after cutting inside from the right. He did well to outmuscle his opponent in the process.

Three minutes later, there was a brilliant sliding tackle from David Barber as Gateshead tried to find space in the area. Trialist A also did well moments before.

Barber then did well again as he somehow prevented a bobbling effort from trickling over the line after the slightest of touches from Joe Parker.

The more experienced visiting team took the lead in the 20th minute. Perry nodded home from a couple of yards out after a brilliant reaction save from Parker following an initial header at goal.

After 23 minutes, Trialist B was dismissed by the referee for an off the ball incident.

Ten minutes later, there was good defending by Lewis Butroid on the far side as he tracked the runner before blocking the cross.

In the 38th minute, there was brilliant play from Sackey to intercept and play out from a cross as Gateshead temporarily went three-on-one.

One minute before half-time, Gateshead came close as Ryan Bowman headed wide under good pressure from Parker.

At the start of the second period, United had to withstand some early pressure. They prevented a second goal after a low ball was fired across goal. Trialist A blocked the shot before the ball was cleared by Sackey.

Bowman made it two for Gateshead in the 57th minute. An inswinging free kick hit the post and fell kindly for the striker to head into the net.

James Dean-Atkinson scored a brilliant goal to reduce the deficit on the hour mark. Butroid was set free down the left, he held off the defender to fire a low cross towards the edge of the area, with Dean-Atkinson running in to wrong-foot the goalkeeper and fire into the corner of the net.

On 75 minutes, Parker was drawn into a good save after a long range effort from Nick Cassidy, with space opening up on the edge after a ricochet.

In the 82nd minute, the Iron had a chance as a towering header from Trialist A dropped for Ablett in the area, with his low shot deflected wide.

Gateshead added a third with five minutes remaining. Parry headed home his second of the game, towering above the defence from a corner to head into the corner of the net.

The game finished 3-1 but it was a good performance from the Iron's youngsters, who had to battle with ten men from 23 minutes onwards.

Scunthorpe United:
Parker, Barber, Butroid, Dean-Atkinson, Trialist A, Trialist B, Trialist C (Noon, 45), Sithole, Sackey, Ablett (Colclough, 84), Train.
Substitutes not used: Kelsey.

Gateshead: MacDonald, McCartney (Lamb, 45), Holden, Cassidy (McArdle, 77), Froggatt, Perry, Elliott (Johnson, 62), Onovwigun, Bowman, Armstrong, Kanda.
Substitutes not used: Hailes, Leedham.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block