Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


5 September 2015

Scunthorpe United slipped to a 1-0 defeat against Blackpool on a frustrating day at Glanford Park.

The Iron created a number of chances throughout the game, but fell to a suckerpunch from Brad Potts.

Manager Mark Robins decided to make two changes from Tuesday night's game with Barnsley, with Kevin van Veen replacing Hakeeb Adelakun and Paddy Madden coming in for Kyle Wootton.

It was as you were for the rest of the line-up. Luke Daniels remained in goal, with a back five of Scott Laird, Charlie Goode, Jack King, Murray Wallace and Scott Wiseman remaining intact. Sean McAllister and Neal Bishop continued their partnership in midfield, while Tom Hopper was the only remaining face from that defeat to the Tykes.

Dutchman van Veen was the first to test Colin Doyle in the Blackpool goal, but his 10th minute left-footed strike was too tame and too close to the visitors' 'keeper.

After a quiet start to proceedings, Hopper almost put the Iron ahead 20 minutes into the first half. However, despite some good work from Madden on the right, his strike partner couldn't make contact with the Irishman's cross.

This seemed to give the visitors a wake-up call. As moments later, Potts almost found the bottom right corner of Daniels' goal, after some good work on the left flank.

A moment of brilliance nearly broke the deadlock in the 33rd minute, when van Veen made a near perfect connection with a scissor kick. However, the effort flashed just past the far post.

The Iron were then punished seconds later as, after a scramble in the United six yard box, Blackpool midfielder Potts bundled the ball home to give the Tangerines a surprise lead.

United quickly pushed for an equaliser, and went close when Hopper glanced a header goalwards, but once more the ball was too close to the visitors' goalkeeper Doyle.

Things were nearly levelled up on the stroke of half-time as Hopper stood a cross up to the back post, which Laird headed downwards. Once again though, Doyle showed good reactions and palmed the ball away.

Hakeeb Adelakun was introduced at the break in place of Wiseman, as the Iron looked for more of an attacking threat.

Robins' side started the second period in a positive fashion and, two minutes in, Madden tried his luck from the edge of the area but his strike was just too high.

Soon after Madden once more went for goal. This time he was much closer, as his venomous attempt flew fractionally over the crossbar. Blackpool 'keeper Doyle looked to be beaten.

The efforts from United kept coming. Laird tested Doyle on the hour mark but, despite striking the ball sweetly, it was comfortable for the Blackpool stopper.

Just as the Iron looked to be getting a foothold in the game, they had a huge let off. United lost the ball in midfield, which allowed Mark Cullen to run through on goal, and he would have doubled the Tangerines' lead but for a fine fingertip save from Daniels.

As the game entered its final 15 minutes, United really started to crank up the pressure. Goode went agonizingly close in the 75th minute, as he curled the ball with the outside of his right foot, but like on so many occasions throughout the game, the ball flew over the crossbar.

Robins' side were getting closer, Madden looked like he'd found the equaliser, but Doyle brilliantly stopped the Irishman's header with his feet. All this came after some great work down the left hand side by substitute Gary McSheffrey.

The Iron continued to push for that elusive goal but, after a well worked short corner, substitute Adelakun curled his effort over the crossbar and into the United fans behind the goal.

Despite throwing everything at the visitors, Robins' side couldn't break down the Tangerines and slipped to their first home league defeat of the season.

Scunthorpe United:
Daniels, Wiseman (Adelakun 46), Goode, King, Wallace, Laird, McAllister, Bishop, van Veen (McSheffrey 67), Hopper (Henderson 82), Madden
Substitutes not used: Anyon, Syers, Wootton, Clarke

Blackpool: Doyle, Ferguson, McAllister, Jones, Potts, Cullen, Cameron (Norris 62), Herron (Robertson 62), Aldred, Boyce, Cubero (Oliver 84)
Substitutes not used: Letheren, Redshaw, Thomas, Osayi-Samuel

Attendance: 3,313 (239 away).

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block