Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


30 September 2015

The Iron fell to a narrow defeat at home to Walsall on Tuesday evening, losing 1-0 to Dean Smith’s promotion chasers.

The game’s only goal came just before the half hour mark as Rico Henry finished neatly after the ball was flicked on to him.

That means that Walsall remain second, but it means that the Iron are still 21st having missed the chance to climb out of the bottom four.

Elsewhere in League One, Burton Albion retained top spot despite a 0-0 draw with play-off contenders Sheffield United.

Their lead has been cut though, with Walsall winning as well as Gillingham, who emphatically beat Fleetwood 5-1 at home.

Bobby Grant had given the visitors the lead, but a Rory Donnelly brace as well as goals from Jordan Houghton, John Egan and Cody McDonald sealed an impressive win.

Bury made it five wins on the bounce and climbed into fourth as a result, winning 3-2 at Peterborough, with the hosts playing most of it with ten men.

Leon Clarke, Nathan Clarke and Tom Pope scored for the visitors, with Gabriel Zakuani netting both for the Posh, who also had Erhun Oztumer dismissed.

A very entertaining first half helped Rochdale into fifth as they beat Shrewsbury 3-2 at home, although they had raced into a three goal lead.

Peter Vincenti, Ian Henderson and Jamie Allen put Dale 3-0 up after 15 minutes, but Nathaniel Knight-Percival and James Collins also netted before half-time to complete the scoring.

At the bottom, Blackpool moved off the foot of the table as they picked up a 2-0 win at home to Chesterfield, with Mark Cullen and Brad Potts on target.

That means that Crewe slipped to 24th after they slipped to a 2-1 defeat at home to Southend, who have now won three on the bounce.

Joe Pigott scored both of the Shrimpers’ goals, with Brad Inman scoring in the middle of the Southend striker’s efforts.

There was late heartbreak for Doncaster as they conceded late on to draw 2-2 with Swindon and miss out on the chance to move out of the drop zone.

Keshi Anderson and Andy Williams had cancelled out Nicky Ajose’s opener, but Jon Obika headed home in the last minute to claim a point.

The DW Stadium also witnessed some late drama as Wigan denied Millwall a third straight away win in an entertaining 2-2 draw.

Goals from Fred Onyedinma and Mark Beevers had put the Lions in control, following Michael Jacobs’ opener for the hosts, but Will Grigg pounced to grab Wigan a point.

Colchester grabbed a fourth consecutive win, beating Bradford 2-0 thanks to strikes from Callum Harriot and Marvin Sordell.

Meanwhile, Uche Ikpeazu cancelled out Michael Higdon’s opener to give Port Vale a point at home to Oldham, giving the Latics a third draw in a row.

Next up for the Iron is another match at Glanford Park, this time against 20th placed Fleetwood, where Mark Robins will hope his side can leapfrog their opponent and return to winning ways.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block