Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


8 September 2015

Scunthorpe United were beaten 2-0 by Hartlepool United in the Final Third Development League on Tuesday afternoon.

There was a strong look to the starting eleven, with Joe Anyon being the man in between the sticks, a defence of Riley Baker, David Mirfin, Isaac Assenso and trialist Ben Gordon. Hakeeb Adelakun, David Syers, Jamie Ness, James Dean Atkinson and Noel Burdett made up the midfield, while Kyle Wootton played the lone role up front.

The visitors started the brighter and went close early on, when Connor Smith flashed header over Anyon's crossbar.

United then asserted their authority on proceedings, as firstly Syers stung the palms of Peter Denton from just inside the area. Then his midfield partner Ness dragged an effort just wide.

The Iron were the dominant side early on, and five minutes into the game Adelakun brilliantly made space on the edge of the area, but was then painfully close to opening the scoring, as he clipped the outside of the post.

Despite their early promise, United fell behind in the 14th minute. Connor Smith advanced into the area and he then curled an effort past Anyon into the far corner.

A fabulous strike from visiting trialist Kingsley Williams then doubled the lead soon after. The midfielder watched the ball over his shoulder before striking a volley with his right foot, which gave Iron 'keeper Anyon no chance.

The game then settled into a pattern of United controlling the possession, but not really creating anything clear cut.

Five minutes before the break, Syers rattled the crossbar with a glancing header from an Adelakun corner. The midfielder lost his man and looked to have found the far corner, but he was denied by the frame of the goal.

A frustrating half for the Iron, especially having controlled most of it. However, they had little to show for their efforts.

United started the second half in a positive fashion and almost halved the deficit when Ness tried his luck from 25 yards. The ball looked to be heading for the top left corner, but Hartlepool stopper Denton did well to tip the effort over the crossbar for a corner.

Moments later, midfielder Atkinson tested Denton. This time things were much more comfortable for the visitors 'keeper, as the effort was hit straight at him.

The man who opened the scoring, Smith, then forced Anyon into a save on 70 minutes. The Hartlepool number 9 picked the ball up about 20 yards from goal and curled an effort towards goal, which the Iron 'keeper had to tip over the crossbar.

In the 77th minute, United had two golden chances to set up a grandstand finish. Firstly Burdett rounded Denton, but could only slice his left footed effort wide.

Then after some great work from Adelakun on the right hand side, substitute George Barmby saw his back post diving header brilliantly repelled by the visiting 'keeper.

The Iron continued to probe and five minutes from time Wootton was put clean through on goal by substitute Sonny Shilling, but despite chipping Denton, his effort was cleared off the goal-line.

The visitors had a chance to add some gloss to the scoreline late on, but Dylan Elliot blazed his attempt way over the crossbar.

2-0 would be how it finished, despite creating a number of chances, United couldn't find a way through a resilient Hartlepool defence.

Scunthorpe United:
Anyon, Atkinson, Mirfin, Assenso (Shilling 79), Syers, Wootton, Ness (Barmby 61), Adelakun, Burdett, Baker (Watkis 46), Gordon (Butroid 71).

Hartlepool United: Denton, Parnaby (Wood 12), Howes, Green, Turnbull, Bates (Travers 61), Nelson-Addy, Walker, Smith, Williams (Elliot 88), Oyenuga.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block