Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


17 November 2015

The Iron's U18s were knocked out of the FA Youth Cup at the second round stage on Tuesday night, losing 4-1 to their Bury counterparts.

There was a superb chance for the Iron inside 60 seconds. Home goalkeeper John Ruddy went walkabouts, with Leslie Sackey firing goalwards from range. He shot over though.

There was another brilliant chance for Sackey after two minutes, with him through on the right. He tried to chip Ruddy but he saved.

Just a moment later Sackey then hit the post after a right-wing ball from the Iron.

Bury then won a corner soon after, but De'Andre Watkis dealt with the threat. The visitors came again, but Riley Baker cleared the danger.

Jake Durham tested Ben Ledger after finding space in the box, but Ledger is well placed and easily saved the effort. Nathan Turner then fired a long range effort wide of the mark for Bury.

The visitors broke the deadlock on 15 minutes and, after neat play, George Miller was played through and slotted past Ben Ledger.

The Iron tried to get on level terms through Dyche, who bullied his way through the midfield. Burdett then saw his cross saved.

Bury went up the other end, with Miller again proving to be a threat. He tried to lift the ball over Ledger but the ball went out of play.

In the 25th minute, a brilliant defensive tackle from Butroid after a low ball across the box saw him sliding in to deny Bury a second.

Just a minute later, Sackey had a volleyed effort deflected wide for a corner after Ruddy had punched United's first corner away.

The visitors made it two on 31 minutes. Khalid Mohamed capitalised on a mistake to stride into the box. Baker tried to block, but Mohamed lifted the ball over Ledger at the second attempt.

In the 36th minute, there was a terrific save from Ruddy after a long ball over the top found Dyche. He controlled and hit the ball on the volley, with Ruddy saving.

In the 43rd minute, Matt Stockill had a long range effort for the Iron, but Ruddy got down well to his right to save.

Bury's Nathan Turner hit the bar within 35 seconds of the start of the second half with an effort from 25 yards out.

However, it didn't take them long to extend their lead to three goals. Miller got his second of the game, capitalising on a short back pass and slotting the ball into the net, with the ball going in off the post.

Miller got his hat-trick on 52 minutes, striding through the defence before slotting past Ledger with another fine finish.

On 55 minutes, Burdett went short to Dyche with a free-kick, but Dyche's shot was sliced wide of the mark.

After that chance, the game went quiet and there were very few openings for either side but a raft of substitutions.

In the 86th minute, Scunthorpe pulled a goal back when Dyche showed determination and slotted into the back of the net from close range.

As we entered added time, Miller flashed a volley wide of the goal for the Shakers before George Hornshaw drew a great stop from Ruddy in the dying seconds as he parried his header from the right.

Scunthorpe United:
Ledger, McMichael, Butroid, Dean-Atkinson (Hornshaw, 64), Baker, Watkis (Train, 75), Burdett, Stockill, Sackey (Shilling, 58), Dyche, Sithole.
Substitutes not used: Parker, Tolchard.

Bury: Ruddy, Kimmins, Gibson, Bourne, Williams, Murray, Crosdale (Best, 78), Durham, Miller, Mohamed, Turner (Ferry, 78).
Substitutes not used: Osgathorpe, Arizie, Papastylianou.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block