Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


7 November 2015

The Iron booked their place in the second round of the FA Cup, with a 2-1 victory over Southend United at Glanford Park.

Paddy Madden scored a brace either side of half-time for United, who made it six wins out of seven in all competition with the victory.

Manager Mark Robins made three enforced changes from the victory over Barnsley. Charlie Goode came in for Murray Wallace, who had returned to his parent club Huddersfield, Luke Williams replaced the ineligible Tommy Rowe and Kevin van Veen took the place of the injured Tom Hopper.

Luke Daniels, fresh from his man of the match display against the Tykes, started in goal. Scott Wiseman, David Mirfin and Scott Laird were part of a four-man defence along with Goode. Jack King and Neal Bishop were once more the central midfield pairing for the Iron and there was an attacking trio of Madden, Gary McSheffrey and Williams in front of them, providing support to Dutchman van Veen.

After a slow start to proceedings, United burst into life 16 minutes in. The Shrimpers failed to clear their lines after Mirfin had flicked on a Williams corner, leaving Madden with the simple task of smashing home from close range.

Despite taking the lead, the Iron didn't manage to find a quick second, and they were punished 33 minutes into the half. Much like the visitors before them, United failed to clear and Ryan Leonard arrowed a shot from the edge of the box, into the bottom left hand corner of Daniels' goal.

Phil Brown's side then went looking for a second, straight away. David Worrall, who'd come on as a substitute earlier on in the half, tested Daniels with a curling effort from just outside the United penalty area. The shot looked as though it'd find its way past Daniels, but the Iron stopper got fingertips on the ball to tip it round the post.

The visitors were growing more and more into the game, and they tested Daniels again. This time it was Myles Weston, who took on Goode before firing a left footed shot straight into the arms of the United 'keeper.

The Iron will have gone in frustrated at the break, as despite taking the lead, they didn't manage to kick on and establish their advantage.

Robins' side made a bright start to the second half, and almost restored their lead shortly after the restart. Van Veen found a yard of space at the near post, but he could only direct his header over the crossbar.

Soon after, there was a moment of controversy. McSheffrey latched onto a loose pass, and as he drove into the penalty area, he looked as though he was impeded. However, in spite of the appeals from both the Iron players and supporters, referee Peter Bankes didn't see anything untoward.

The Iron continued to play on the front foot, and after missing the target with his previous attempt, van Veen did manage to test Southend 'keeper Daniel Bentley with a long range effort just after the hour mark.

After knocking at the door for the duration of the second period, United finally found a way through, thanks to Madden. The chance looked to have gone after Henderson had seen his shot blocked from close range, but when the ball fell to the Iron number 9, he made no mistake and placed his shot into the roof of the net.

United had a great opportunity to add some gloss to the scoreline late on, but McSheffrey couldn't squeeze the ball home from a tight angle, after substitute Darius Henderson had rounded Bentley in the Shrimpers goal.

The Iron saw out the game comfortably and deservedly progressed to the second round of the FA Cup.

Scunthorpe United:
Daniels, Wiseman (Clarke 59), Mirfin, Goode (Boyce 75), Laird, Bishop, King, Madden, Williams (Henderson 56), McSheffrey, van Veen.
Substitutes not used: Anyon, Adelakun, McAllister, Dyche.

Southend United: Bentley, Coker, Prosser, Timlin, Weston, Bolger, McLaughlin (Worrall 15), Leonard, Rea (Hurst 80), Pigott (Mooney 73), O'Neill.
Substitutes not used: Smith, Payne, Atkinson, Barrett.

Attendance: 3,335.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block