Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


9 November 2015

League One action took a break over the weekend, with the Iron beating Southend 2-1 in the Emirates FA Cup first round.

Paddy Madden netted a brace in between Ryan Leonard’s strike to ensure a safe passage into round two for Mark Robins’ side.

They will be ball number 35 in Monday’s draw and could come up against some fellow League One sides, as well as League Two and below.

The Iron will not face Barnsley though as they provided the shock of the round, losing 1-0 to Altrincham, with Damian Reeves netting the only goal.

Crewe also suffered a similar fate, also losing to National League opposition in the shape of Eastleigh, while finishing the tie with ten men.

Ben Strevens grabbed the only goal, with Crewe ‘keeper Ben Garratt sent off earlier for bringing down Yemi Odubade outside of his area.

Blackpool were also on the wrong end of a cup upset as they lost 2-0 to League Two side Barnet.

Goals from Tom Champion and Michael Gash eased the hosts into the draw for the second round and added to Blackpool’s woes.

There was also an upset at the Ricoh Arena as Coventry lost 2-1 to Northampton, with Marc Richards getting the winner for the Cobblers.

League leaders Gillingham are also out to lower opposition after they lost 3-0 at former England striker Teddy Sheringham’s Stevenage.

Steven Schumacher, Chris Whelpdale and Armand Gnanduillet sealed a comfortable victory and secure their place in round two.

Colchester survived a scare, but eventually powered home against a spirited Wealdstone side, winning 6-2 despite falling behind.

Macauley Bonne grabbed four of the U’s goals, with George Moncur and Marvin Sordell eventually finishing off the non-league side.

Doncaster also made light work of National League North’s Stalybridge Celtic as Andy Williams’ brace eased them into round two.

It was a similar story at Millwall, with the League One side proving too much for AFC Fylde as they ran out 3-1 winners.

Strikers Aiden O’Brien, Lee Gregory and Steve Morison all found the net, while Fylde got a consolation through Alex Whittle.

Sheffield United comfortably saw off Worcester – who the Iron faced last season – winning 3-0 at Bramall Lane to book their place in the draw.

In a couple of all League One ties, Peterborough cruised through 3-0 at Burton, while Bury won 4-0 at home to Wigan.

Nathaniel Mendez-Liang grabbed a hat-trick as Rochdale saw off Swindon, and Walsall beat Fleetwood 2-0 to progress.

Also, Oldham will face a replay with Mansfield after their 0-0 draw, as will Bradford as they drew a blank at Aldershot.

Port Vale also face a replay after a 1-1 draw with Maidenhead, but Shrewsbury won 1-0 at Gainsborough on Sunday to progress.

The best of the rest saw Chesham beat League Two’s Bristol Rovers, while Stourbridge, Whitehawk, Forest Green, Welling, and Salford are other non-league side definitely through.

The Iron could also face local rivals Grimsby in the next round, with the second round draw on Monday evening where 40 teams will go into the hat.

Next for United it is a return to League One action, and Mark Robins will hope his side can continue their excellent run when they travel to Swindon.

Tweets by @SUFCOfficial

Advertisement block