Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


17 May 2015

The Iron's Futsal team were beaten 5-3 by their Sheffield United counterparts in the Soccer AM Cup semi-finals on Sunday.

United managed to get to the last four at the tournament at the Copper Box Arena, and pushed the Blades all the way right until the death of extra time.

Two minutes in, Oliver Burton fired over after good play from Matty Welsh which saw the opposition goalkeeper make an initial save. Zach Meadows then forced a stop.

Goalkeeper Zach Beadle was then drawn into an excellent pair of saves, before United took the lead through Ryan Bonser, who drilled low into the bottom corner on 12 minutes.

Adam Longstaff then struck the ball past the post as Scunthorpe searched for a second in the 17th minute.

Shortly after, the Blades levelled before Beedle made another terrific stop to keep the scores level.

The Iron continued to press, forcing numerous blocks before the game reached half-time.

Playing 20 minutes each half, United came close again in the opening seconds after the interval.

Meadows fired over the bar after a terrific square ball from Burton.

The Blades then took the lead. Beedle saved the initial effort, but could do nothing with the follow-up.

In the 28th minute, Bonser drew a fine save from the Blades' goalkeeper after peeling away from his marker on the right.

Eight minutes later, there was a terrific double save from the Sheffield keeper, denying Burton and Welsh.

Moments after, seeking an equaliser to take the game into extra time, the Iron adopted the fly-keeper approach and it instantly paid off, with Ben Brown bundling the ball over the line!

Extra time consisted of five minutes each half and, after 120 seconds, Ryan Thompson was terrifically denied by the Sheffield United goalkeeper after a long range effort.

Two minutes later, Meadows drew another fine save from the Blades' goalkeeper, who palmed the ball over the bar.

Then Scunthorpe hit the woodwork, as Thompson again hit from range, with the ball cannoning off the top of the bar.

Nevertheless, the Iron soon went back ahead, as Bonser won the ball back, laying off for Meadows to fire the Iron ahead.

After half-time of extra time, the Blades came out all guns blazing, with Beedle making a stupendous double save.

However, two quickfire strikes saw Sheffield United take a 4-3 lead. The Iron pushed forward, adopting the fly-keeper approach, as they seeked another leveller - but were caught on the counter-attack and the Blades notched again.

Futsal co-ordinator Gav Cooper said: "It was disappointing for the boys losing in extra time but we are all proud of what they have achieved in the competition."

Congratulations to Reading who win the Soccer AM Cup after a 17-goal thriller final against Sheffield United. The final score was 11-6 to the Royals.

Advertisement block