Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


2 June 2015

With the Iron on an impressive eight-match unbeaten run, the opening game of 2015 would see them host Chesterfield in the third round of the FA Cup

This came following their penalty shoot-out win over Worcester City in the previous round.

United would start the game exactly how they’d dreamed of, and following an Alex Davey screamer, his first professional goal, and a calm finish from Lyle Taylor following a lapse in the Chesterfield defence's concentration, Scunthorpe went in to half time with a healthy 2-0 lead.

But a second half Chesterfield fightback was started when Eoin Doyle slotted his penalty away in 71st minute, before the James O’Shea leveller in the 85th. The game would require a replay at the Proact Stadium later on in the month.

Despite not holding on to progress to the FA Cup fourth round, the Iron were now nine-unbeaten, and a trip to Walsall was next.

The traveling United faithful would be treated to one of the games of the season. A James Chambers own goal would start the scoring for the Iron, before Tom Hopper’s smart finish made it two.

Michael Cain made the Scunthorpe fans sweat not long after the break as Walsall got one back, but a penalty from Paddy Madden and an impressive finish from Neal Bishop relieved the tension, and saw the scoreline stick at an impressive 4-1.

Derby away was the reward for the winner of the FA Cup replay at Chesterfield, but despite holding the Spireites for 90 minutes – the Iron were undone in extra-time with the impressive Sam Clucas scoring both.

Next up was the League One table toppers Bristol City at Glanford Park, and it was a game that would end in disaster for the United goalkeepers.

A first half penalty from Jay Emmanuel-Thomas saw City take the lead, before two separate freak incidences saw United’s first team goalkeeper Sam Slocombe, and reserve keeper James Severn, both suffer broken arms.

Andrew Boyce went in net and almost kept a clean sheet, before Luke Freeman sealed the points for Bristol City in the 85th minute, despite a heroic display from the Iron, who were unlucky not to get anything from the game.

With United’s unbeaten run coming to an end, a tricky home fixture against promotion hopefuls MK Dons was next to come. United acted swiftly to replace their injured keepers, with Luke Daniels and Joe Anyon being brought in by Mark Robins.

A 57th minute Tom Hopper goal would see the Iron fans hopeful of a pretty large upset, before a Kyle McFadzean header levelled the scores. But Scunthorpe held on for an important point.

The final game in January was a trip to London to face Leyton Orient. United took a large following to the capital city and were rewarded by Liam O’Neill with 13 minutes gone, before a Gary McSheffrey cross-cum-shot found its way in to double the Iron’s lead before half time.

A third was added not long after the break through Tom Hopper, before Orient hit back to make it 3-1.

With only two goals in it, Scunthorpe’s noisy travelling fans were left hoping for a fourth to seal it. And that fourth came thanks to the in-form Tom Hopper, who scored his second of the game with ten minutes to go.

Another successful month for the Iron had passed, with the injuries to Slocombe and Severn the only real major downer. A big month in February was next, with five out of the next seven games being home fixtures.

Advertisement block