Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


4 June 2015

With five of February’s seven league games being played at Glanford Park, the Iron were hopeful that some momentum could see them continue to climb the League One table.

Oldham were the first team to visit Glanford Park in a busy month. The game would see Kevin van Veen make his debut from the substitutes' bench following his move from FC Oss.

His name was sung loudly around Glanford Park as he took his first touches of the ball in claret and blue.

Despite putting in an impressive performance the Iron were undone with only five minutes remaining as Carl Winchester found space to get his shot away.

The Iron were within a minute of securing three points at Coventry next, before being pegged back. United had taken the lead through ex-Sky Blues man Gary McSheffrey, whose intelligent free kick from the edge of the area flew in. And that goal would be defended before a late, late dinked effort from Marcus Tudgay levelled the scores, and the game finished 1-1.

Promotion hopefuls Swindon Town were next to come to Glanford Park, and the result would not have been expected prior to kick off.

Michael Smith had given Swindon the lead not long before half time, but the second half would be a totally different story.

Paddy Madden got the Iron’s first on 62 minutes, before a Niall Canavan header gave United the lead in the 76th. Kevin van Veen’s first goal for the club followed just a few minutes later to all but seal the points.

As he found himself in space on the edge of the box, he saw Wes Foderingham in the Swindon goal off his line a little bit, and duly chipped him. 3-1 it finished.

For the second time in the past month the Iron hosted Chesterfield next, this time in the league. And this time United would finally get the better of the Spireites. Niall Canavan scored for the second consecutive game in the 58th minute, before Paddy Madden broke clear of the Chesterfield defence and finished coolly, securing an impressive 2-0 victory.

An extremely difficult trip to Preston North End was next on the agenda for Scunthorpe. PNE showed their true promotion credentials, and two second half goals from Daniel Johnson and Paul Gallagher were enough to secure the points for the home side.

With two home fixtures left to play in the month, the Iron faced Barnsley first. Josh Scowen’s 51st minute goal for the visitors was enough to seal the points. Barnsley had been reduced to ten men following their opener, as Jean-Yves Mvoto was given his marching orders for a second bookable offence. Despite the man advantage, United couldn’t break down a stubborn Barnsley side, and the game finished 1-0.

The final game of the month saw bottom of the table Yeovil Town make the long trip north. Their trip was made worthwhile when they took the lead on the 28th minute through Joel Grant.

Paddy Madden had a penalty saved just before half time, and despite an impressive first half performance, United were behind. The second half introduction of Hakeeb Adelakun would change the game, and his impressive 61st minute equaliser sent the Iron faithful into raptures. Plenty of chances for Scunthorpe were to follow, but the score would remain 1-1.

Advertisement block