Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


18 June 2015

Without a win at all in March, the Iron had found themselves thrown right back into the scrap to avoid relegation – but had some easier games to come on paper in April.

First up was Peterborough United who travelled to Glanford Park on Good Friday.

Top scorer Paddy Madden eased the home crowd's nerves five minutes before half time as Gary McSheffrey’s blocked shot found its way to Paddy, who slotted the ball beneath Alnwick.

United’s fans nerves were lifted away once more, and this time it was thanks to a clever flick of the boot by Theo Robinson, following a cross from McSheffrey.

And 2-0 was how it finished, and the Iron had their first win 10 games.

Thankful for the three-point gap above the relegation zone, United were handed their hardest remaining fixture in the league, as they travelled down south to Milton Keynes.

The Dons were on a fantastic run of form, and a win against the Iron would see them close the gap on the last remaining automatic promotion spot to just five points. 

Sadly for United, the Dons would close the gap on Preston, as two Will Grigg goals inside the first five minutes of the match were enough to secure the points for the home side.

The Iron were now only one point clear of the relegation zone once more, but played host to a relegation six-pointer next with Crawley travelling to town.

Jordan Clarke almost got his first goal in claret and blue, but his shot would still give the Iron the lead – although at the expense of a wicked deflection from Crawley’s defender, Ryan Dickson.

With that all important first goal coming United’s way, the pressure eased off a little, and a second goal would ease the pressure even further, with Paddy scoring for the second consecutive home game.

Izale McLeod pulled one back for Crawley with just under 15 minutes to go, but the Iron held on for a priceless three points.

Another home game next, this time against a team bang out of form – Port Vale.

Richard Duffy’s first half goal looked like it would be enough to hand Vale the win, but young Kyle Wootton came off the bench to score the equaliser with a storming header at the last gasp, following a wonderful ball across from Hakeeb Adelakun.

It would be Wootton’s first professional goal, and one of the most important he may ever score – as that late point left United four points clear of the relegation zone, with four games left to play.

With League One safety a possibility should the Iron defeat Colchester at the Community Stadium, and other results go in their favour – United travelled down south ready to fight for their League One survival.

Theo Robinson put United ahead with a beautifully curled strike with 30 minutes on the clock, and the Iron would hold that lead until the 81st minute, when Tom Eastman levelled for the U’s. And they turned the game on its head within minutes of the leveller, this time courtesy of Chris Porter.

With Colchester ready to celebrate a huge win in their fight for survival, United found an equaliser through Hakeeb’s looped shot from an almost impossible angle. It would be a massive equaliser, and one, which increased our advantage on the bottom four to five points.

With another chance to secure safety, Bradford travelled to Glanford Park for penultimate home fixture of the season.

McSheffrey gave United the lead as he latched onto Hakeeb’s cross on 26 minutes, before Bishop was incredibly unlucky not to double the lead as his shot cannoned down off the crossbar.

But the Iron were made to pay for missed opportunities as Billy Clarke’s impressive volley levelled the scores – and 1-1 is how it would remain.

The final home fixture of the season saw United host Gillingham, and it would be the biggest result of the 2014/14 season, too.

It wouldn’t be the greatest of starts, however, as the Gills took the lead inside five minutes through Luke Norris.

But the Iron would react perfectly, and were level after eleven minutes as Hakeeb scored to continue his impressive form towards the end of the season.

United fans weren’t left waiting long for their side to take the lead, as another player in impressive form in the shape of McSheffrey, scored after nineteen minutes.

That’s how the score would finish, and the Iron had secured their League One status for another season – and could travel to Doncaster next with nothing but pride to play for.

With nothing left to play for, the United fans travelled in numbers for the short trip to Doncaster, hoping to get one over on their rivals.

It wouldn’t be the game those in the away end would have hoped for, as the Rovers went on to win 5-2 courtesy of an own goal from Niall Canavan, a Rob Jones header, and a hat trick from Nathan Tyson. United’s first goal came from an Andy Butler own goal, before Hakeeb scored a late free-kick to spare at least a few blushes.

So the League One season is over for another year, but with safety confirmed, Iron fans can now look forward to another pop at England’s third tier in August.

Advertisement block