Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


11 July 2015

United ran out 3-0 victors at Gainsborough Trinity in their first friendly of pre-season, thanks to goals from Andrew Boyce, Luke Williams and Paddy Madden.

The first chance of the game came Scunthorpe’s way, as Kevin van Veen smartly burst into the box, before pulling the ball back on the by-line. A blocked shot fell to the Iron, as Dawson unleashed a venomous drive – which was bravely blocked by the Gainsborough centre half.

Another impressive run from van Veen with 20 minutes gone saw him cross dangerously, but Trinity defended well and got in the clearance. Scott Laird’s cross from the clearance had too much on it for Jordan Clarke who was lurking at the back post.

Trinity then found themselves with a free-kick in a dangerous position, but a flick-on in the box fell straight into Luke Daniels' grateful arms.

Trinity started to find a foothold in the game, and after a good move saw the ball passed to their captain – he whipped in a great ball, but it had too much on it for the two lurking strikers, and went out for a goal kick.

Trialist Nathaniel Mendez-Laing got his first shot of the game after he made the room to shoot on the edge of the box, but Trinity keeper Budtz collected his low drive easily enough.

With almost half an hour gone the best chance of the half so far was created. Mendez-Laing started a move going down the right as he set Tom Hopper on a run into the box, before his perfectly weighted pass found it’s way back to Mendez-Laing, as his placed shot hit the left hand post and bounced away safely.

With chances few and far between, Trinity created another half chance, as Newsham headed a slightly over hit cross not too far wide.

With half time nearing, David Syers worked the ball to Laird on the wing, who whipped in a fantastic ball, but no Iron player was on hand to head home.

After Syers was felled just outside the box, Van Veen stepped up to take the free kick. The striker hit it perfectly, but once again the woodwork would deny the Iron an opener.

There was another chance before half time for United as van Veen’s flicked header found Hopper with a one-on-one opportunity, but a poor first touch gave Budtz the chance to charge down the Iron frontman and the ball went out for a corner.

From the resulting corner a headed clearance fell to Syers who unleashed a shot on the bounce from the edge of the box, which went safely wide.

The first half drew to a close with the teams still at deadlock. United had come the closest of the two teams, with two efforts rattling the woodwork. But Gainsborough had defended very well, and were worthy of being still in this game.

The first chance of the second period came when Luke Williams was fouled on the edge of the Trinity box. Gary McSheffrey took it, but his drive was deflected wide for a corner – with nothing of note coming from that resulting corner.

Another free kick from a dangerous position was took by McSheffrey five minutes or so later, this time it flew over, and Trinity had a goal kick.

United’s pressure finally paid off in the in 61st minute, as a whipped McSheffrey corner was smashed home by Boyce at the far post.

A few minutes later Williams tried his luck from 30 yards out, but his shot sailed wide – and the scores remained at 1-0 to United.

With 75 minutes on the clock, a cross from Terry Hawkridge troubled the Trinity keeper, who got up well to tip the cross over the bar. Sadly for the Iron, they couldn’t create a chance from the resulting corner.

Trinity’s best chance of the match so far came from a superb shot from a free kick on the edge of United’s box. Joe Anyon got down well to palm it out for a corner, before coolly collecting the ball from the resulting corner.

The Iron then went up the other end, and after Paddy Madden worked himself some space on the left, he switched the ball to the right and McSheffrey curled a beauty – but Budtz was equal to it, as he caught the ball calmly.

The second goal came in the 85th minute through new signing Williams. Great work on the left from McSheffrey saw him dart past two Trinity players before finding Williams in the middle, who struck home wonderfully. It was by no means an easy finish for the Iron’s attacker.

Williams fancied his second in as many minutes when he stepped up to take a free kick in another dangerous position. This time he wouldn’t find the net, but the ball wasn’t too far wide.

Williams’ darting run through the middle saw him venture into the Trinity box, where he was hacked down – and the Iron were awarded a penalty.

Madden stepped up and made no mistake, firing hard and low to the goalkeeper’s right – and United had a third.

One final chance for the Iron as Hawkridge’s cross was headed just over by Madden, and the referee immediately blew the full time whistle after.

Gainsborough: Budtz, Roma, Lacey, Binns, Quinn, Picton, Russell, Davis, Newsham, Jarman, Yates.
Scunthorpe (first half): Daniels, Clarke, Mirfin, Canavan, Laird, Bishop, Mendez-Laing, Syers, Hopper, van Veen.
Scunthorpe (second half): Scunthorpe: Anyon, Wiseman, Boyce, King, Goode, McAllister, Assenso, Hawkridge, Williams, McSheffrey, Madden.

Advertisement block