Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


8 January 2015

Lyle Taylor was pleased to get back to scoring ways with his goal in the third round of the FA Cup in Tuesday’s 2-2 draw with Chesterfield at Glanford Park.

Taylor scored the Iron’s second goal of the night as he latched onto a defensive mistake just before half time to beat Tommy Lee in the away net with a composed finish.

The result made it ten games unbeaten for Scunthorpe United and Taylor says he’s happy with his goal but would rather have seen the team win the game and progress through to round four of the FA Cup.

He said: “It’s nice to score; I hadn’t scored in a while! At the end of the day the team are more important than any one individual player so I’d rather have gone through into the next round but we’re still in it and we’ll go again. It’ll be a good atmosphere down there and it looks like we’ll probably take a few so it should be good.”

The first half of the clash saw Mark Robins’ side go two goals ahead with the strike from Taylor and Alex Davey’s brilliantly placed opener. A second half fight back from fellow League One side Chesterfield, through goals from Eoin Doyle and John O’Shea, means the sides will meet in a replay at the ProAct Stadium to determine who will face Derby County in the next round.

Taylor, who played as a lone striker during his time on the field, was frustrated not to see his side hold on for the victory but is relieved to still be in the competition as he eyes a cup run for the Iron.

He said: “We’re disappointed. Having a two goal lead at half time you would like to think we could see the game out and possibly score some more goals. They played really well in the second half, pinned us in and we couldn’t get out. At times we showed we were more than capable of bettering them so we’re still in the competition and we’ll look to do it the hard way.

“Second half we just couldn’t get out and it was more due to how good they were rather than how we set up or because we defended deep. It’s one of those things in football, you see we did it to Bradford a few weeks ago when we pinned them in. At the end of the day we’re still in the competition and it’s not ideal with fixtures piling up but we’re still in it and would like to go on a run in the competition.”

It was the first fixture of 2015 for Scunthorpe United and was also their first since Boxing Day as postponements and Chesterfield’s replayed FA Cup Second Round tie meant that Taylor and his team mates had a lengthy break over New Year.

Sitting 18th in League One and now on a ten game unbeaten run, Lyle Taylor says he wants to keep playing matches instead of just working on the training field but felt that there was some fatigue towards the end of Tuesday night’s game.

He said: “You see that there were a few of us who looked leggy, and felt leggy. I think that’s just one of the things that happen when you don’t play in twelve days as it’s a long time not to have a game but it’s no excuse at the end of the day. We went 2-0 up and were five or six minutes away from winning the game so we’ll go again Saturday and then again at their place on Tuesday.”

Scunthorpe’s next fixture is this Saturday when they return to League One action with a trip to Walsall.

See much more from Lyle Taylor, Liam O'Neil and Mark Robins on The Iron Player.

Advertisement block