Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 27/01/2015

27 January 2015

United drew 1-1 with promotion hopefuls MK Dons on Tuesday night.

Second-half goals saw the Iron take the lead through Tom Hopper. However, the Dons then claimed a share of the spoils through a Kyle McFadzean header.

Scunthorpe made two changes from the side defeated 2-0 at home to Bristol City 10 days ago. Injured goalkeeper Sam Slocombe made way for debutant Luke Daniels, while Niall Canavan came in for Miguel Llera.

The opening exchanges was a scrappy affair with no clear-cut chances on goal. Scunthorpe’s Jordan Clarke received a yellow card in the 12th minute after a lunge on Don’s Jonson Clarke-Harris. 

The resulting Mk Dons free-kick was whipped into the box by Danny Green, gathered with ease by Luke Daniels.

Good interplay between the visitors' midfield saw Clarke-Harris thwarted in the area by Daniels. 

Carl Baker produced a clever 'Cruyff turn' on the edge of the box, but his cross was not so clever. The ball fizzled behind for a goal-kick. 

The Iron were awarded their first corner of the game just past the 20 minute mark. A good delivery from Jacob Murphy led to Andrew Boyce heading the ball just over the bar.

The visitors produced the game’s first shot on target in the 23rd minute. Clarke-Harris outpaced Andrew Boyce and struck a curved shot at goal inside the area, bringing out an impressive full reflex save from Daniels.  

The Iron found themselves under pressure from MK Dons' slick passing, Green flighted the ball in for Dele Alli, and the 18 year old’s header whistled fractions wide of the post - which brought sighs of relief from  the home faithful behind the goal. 

The highly 18-year-old was at it again just past the half-hour mark. Alli worked himself an opening in acres of space, gliding into the area but his powerful shot was saved by a fully spread Daniels on his near post. 

The Iron continued to soak up the pressure, as the Dons' Antony Kay slid the ball just wide from close range. The visitors heavily protested a corner, surrounding the referee to no avail. 

Just before the one minute of added time, a clearance from Daniels caused pandemonium in the visitors' area between the Iron’s Tom Hopper and Dons custodian David Martin. 

The visitors immediately attacked, and their captain Dean Lewington brought out a fine save from Daniels.

In the second half, MK Dons looked to have continued where they left off, as Green hooked an ambitious shot well wide.

The Iron counter-attacked with Murphy whose cross was gathered by Martin. Baker gathered space on the left flank, but his shot floated just wide of goal.

The visitors' manager Karl Robinson introduced his first substitution of the game on the 54th minute, as Devante Cole came on for Clarke-Harris.   

The 57th minute saw the Iron break the deadlock against the run of play. Paddy Madden showed great awareness on the edge of the box to spot Tom Hopper, and the Leicester loanee did well to break the off-side trap and dispatch his shot into the bottom corner of the net. It was his second goal for the Iron.

United manager Mark Robins made his first change on the 62nd minute, as Gary McSheffrey came on for Jacob Murphy. The visitors also made a substitution, with Daniel Powell on for Danny Green.

The Iron almost added to their lead, as Madden marauded his way into the area but his shot was tipped behind for a corner by Martin. 

MK Dons striker Will Grigg was booked for diving inside the Iron area looking for a penalty. Gary McSheffrey showed great endeavour in keeping the ball in play, as his cross saw Liam O’Neil hit a tame shot at goal that was well saved.

The visitors threatened twice in quick succession, as Darren Potter fired wide before Alli produced a snapshot, which drew a majestic save from Daniels.

The Iron’s Gary McSheffrey was yellow carded in the 73rd minute for a scything challenge on former Iron loanee Jordan Spence.  

The visitors' equaliser came on the 77th minute from a corner kick. Kyle McFadzean rose like a salmon to power the header into the top corner. 

The 80th minute saw the Iron make their second change of the game, as Lyle Taylor came on for Tom Hopper.  

The claret and blue threatened with a corner, with a handball shout waved away by the referee.

Another Dons counter-attack saw Grigg fire wide just inside the box.

The visitors' final substitution came on the 86th minute, with Dean Bowditch coming on for Will Grigg.

Six minutes of added time saw the Iron pile pressure on the visitors' goal, with Canavan’s header held firmly by Martin. 

The Iron made a final substitution in the dying seconds, as Sean McAllister came on for Liam O’Neil. 

The final stages saw both teams going through the motions, and a profitable point for both sides overall.

Scunthorpe United:
Daniels,  Canavan, Boyce, Williams, Clarke, O’Neil, (McAllister, 90), Murphy, (McSheffrey, 62), Osbourne, Bishop (C), Hopper, (Taylor, 80), Madden.
Substitutes not used: Anyon, Adelakun, Llera, Davey

Milton Keynes Dons: Martin, Lewington (C), McFadzean, Kay, Spence, Green (Powell, 62) Potter, Baker, Alli, Grigg, (Bowditch, 87), Clarke-Harris, (Cole, 55).
Substitutes not used: McLoughlin, Hodson, Baldock, Hitchcock.

Attendance: 3,005 (147 away).

Advertisement block