Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


27 January 2015

Iron boss Mark Robins believes the club's hard work has paid off after goalkeeper Joe Anyon joined Luke Daniels in penning a permanent deal at Glanford Park.

Talking on The Iron Player, Robins was delighted that Daniels has been provided with some competition in the shape of Anyon, who was on non-contract terms with Crewe Alexandra before joining Scunthorpe until the end of the campaign.

Speaking about the pair, Robins said: “I’m delighted. Luke’s 26 years of age, a really good age for a goalkeeper, he’s been a number two at a Premier League club for a very long time, and he’s just not had the run of games to get his career going.

"Luckily for us we have a goalkeeper who is hungry to get his career on the pathway towards playing regular games and achieving success.

"He’s at the right age to do it, he’s been training with Dean Kiely for a number of years, he’s well thought of and certainly I’ve had great feedback from people I know, trust and respect in the game.

"I’m delighted to have him, he’s come here for two-and-a-half-years and I’m looking forward to working with him, but Joe Anyon who we signed on Monday is another bonus for us.

"Joe was training at Crewe, and Paul Musslewhite has been tasked with finding us that second goalkeeper.

"I must say, I’ve had about 500 texts and 500 calls about goalkeepers and it has been a real task.

"We’ve managed to get the two in, and I’m hoping they can both push for the starting spot, but as I say Luke is our no.1 goalkeeper at this stage and Joe comes in to add that competition, and try and force his way in if he can do.”

With both goalkeepers signed up within nine days of the accidents that saw duo Sam Slocombe and James Severn sidelined with broken arm injuries against Bristol City, it was no surprise two ‘keepers of such quality were found so soon, with the search for replacement shotstoppers starting from the moment Severn left the field.

Robins said: “I’ve worked really, really hard on it - the whole staff have. 

"As soon as the lads broke their arms against Bristol City I sent Andy Dawson inside to make phone calls and get people ready for it because we knew they were going to be out for the foreseeable future, if not the whole season.

"We needed to act, and Andy did that, but I am pleased with the outcome. Now we have got them in the building they need to start to repay that faith and earn their stripes, but I think at this stage we are fortunate enough to get two in that help us out.”

The injuries Slocombe and Severn suffered will leave them out of action for the foreseeable future, but Robins has praised the way the club have accommodated the injuries of the pair, and the way they would not let anything get between them getting the goalkeepers the best treatment possible for them.

Robins said: “Everything has gone according to plan.

"We are probably look at about 10-12 weeks which is a real shame, and then we’ve had to act this week and replace those two, which is something we were certainly unprepared for - it was an unprecedented day.

"It was just a shame; they broke the same arm, in the same game and within 20-30 minutes of each other.

"We wish them a speedy recovery. However, we have looked after them - the club always looks after their players.

"They’ve had the best surgery they could possibly have had, and the surgeons are pleased the way things have gone for them.

"We are looking at about 10-12 weeks until they return overall.

"James has been in the building the last few days, while we’ve given Sam a few days away to recuperate, apart from that it’s all systems go.”

See much more from Mark Robins on The Iron Player.

Advertisement block