Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


14 February 2015

United produced a fantastic turnaround in the second half to win 3-1 and claim all three points against promotion chasing Swindon Town at Glanford Park.

Michael Smith’s long range strike had given the visitors a lead going into half-time, but three goals after the break gave the Iron the points.

Niall Canavan played a key role, flicking on for Paddy Madden to equalise, before his glancing header nestled into the far corner to give the Iron the lead.

Kevin van Veen then sealed the win with a composed finish to secure a perfect full debut for himself and a very good afternoon for United.

The Iron were looking to bounce back at Glanford Park after suffering a late defeat at home last weekend to Oldham, whilst building on a point at Coventry in midweek.

Mark Robins made two changes to the side that drew at Coventry, with the suspended Gary McSheffrey making way for Kevin van Veen, who was making his first Iron start and George Evans replacing Isaiah Osbourne.

The visitors came into the game second in the League One table, but had lost their last two matches on the road following defeats at Sheffield United and Oldham.

Swindon attempted started the game on the front foot though, looking to push their wing-backs forward at every opportunity and put the Iron under early pressure.

The hosts were also keen to start brightly and nearly took the lead when Kevin van Veen’s shot from Tom Hopper’s chest down just flashed wide of the post.

The Dutchman was enjoying an assured full debut, closing down the Swindon defence at every possible opportunity and forcing them to play the ball long.

The Iron had to be alert at the back to keep one of League One’s top marksmen out, with Andy Williams firing an angled shot narrowly wide in the early exchanges.

Both sides continued to create chances as the first half progressed, although Paddy Madden and Neal Bishop could not test Wes Foderingham with their headers.

At the other end, Niall Canavan stepped across excellently to deny visiting striker Williams as he capitalised on the Iron losing possession and surged into the box.

As the half entered the final 15 minutes, United were starting to get on top of the League One promotion chasers, picking up the ball in some advanced positions and trying to control the tempo.

The Iron were unable to turn this spell into a goal and were made to pay on the stroke of half time as Michael Smith put the visitors into the lead.

The forward received the ball on the edge of the box and skipped past a few challenges to drive into the bottom corner, leaving Luke Daniels with no chance.

The visitors very nearly doubled it, but Daniels did brilliantly to deny Williams from close range, tipping the ball over his bar.

Swindon looked to pick up from where they had left off in the second half, winning an early corner as they looked extend their lead.

Paddy Madden was looking lively for the Iron though and he had two early chances to get United back on level terms, although he was unable to find the target with either effort.

Mark Robins’ side were trying to find an equaliser and were looking dangerous, but still had to be mindful of the threat Swindon posed as Louis Thompson’s curling effort went just wide.

The Iron continued to press forward and came within a whisker of getting the leveller, but Neal Bishop’s header cannoned off the cross bar.

Just a minute later though and Scunthorpe did have the reward for their second half pressure as Paddy Madden slotted the ball past the visiting ‘keeper.

Canavan’s flick evaded Bishop, but Madden was able to pick the ball up and place it past Foderingham from about six yards out.

The equaliser got the galvanised the crowd and they were unhappy with the referee’s decision to not dismiss the already booked Raphael Rossi Branco as the Swindon man kicked it against van Veen after the whistle had gone.

The Iron soon turned the game around as Canavan’s header nestled into the bottom corner from Liam O’Neil’s set-piece, just moments after Williams had hit the bar up the other end.

The original corner was not fully cleared and the second corner was met perfectly by the Iron defender to send United 2-1 up with under 15 minutes left.

Instead of sitting back and holding onto their lead, Mark Robins’ side pressed on looking to extend their lead and were rewarded almost instantly.

Kevin van Veen capitalised on a defensive error before lifting the ball delightfully over the onrushing ‘keeper to put the Iron 3-1 up after 79 minutes.

Time was running out for the visitors to find a way back into the game and when they did get a chance, the Scunthorpe defence or Luke Daniels were equal to the task.

Canavan nearly added a fourth for the Iron, but this time Foderingham was equal to his effort as the game drew to a close.

Scunthorpe United:
Daniels, Clarke, Davey, Canavan, Williams, Bishop (McAllister, 87), Evans, O'Neil, van Veen (Wootton, 90), Madden, Hopper (Adelakun, 90).
Substitutes: Anyon, Nolan, Hawkridge, Boyce.

Swindon Town: Foderingham, N Thompson. Byrne, Stephens, Turnbull, Kasim (Swift, 77), Smith, Williams, Toffolo, L Thompson, Rossi Branco (Gladwin, 73).
Substitutes: Obika, Barthram, Hylton, Belford, Rodgers.

Attendance: 3,763 (340 away).

Advertisement block