Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


14 December 2015

The Iron picked up a point at Port Vale on Saturday, drawing 1-1 at a wet and windy Vale Park.

Jack King netted his first goal for the club, neatly flicking the ball in via the post from a Luke Williams corner.

The hosts struck back on the stroke of half-time though, with the inform Ajay Leitch-Smith adding to his goals tally to earn Vale a point.

Elsewhere in League One, Burton continued their impressive form with a 3-0 victory at fellow promotion rivals Gillingham to stay top of the table.

The hosts had Doug Loft sent off and Burton took advantage thanks to goals from Damien McCrory, Lucas Akins and Anthony O’Connor.

Coventry remain second, but suffered a disappointing defeat at Sheffield United, who got their play-off chase back on track with a 1-0 win.

The Blades won it thanks to Billy Sharp’s goal with ten minutes remaining, bringing the hosts within four points of the top six.

Third placed Walsall were not in action as their game at Fleetwood was one of three to be postponed due to adverse weather. 

The clash between play-off chasers Bradford and Southend, and also Millwall’s game at Oldham were the others to get called off.

Peterborough’s game was not stopped by the weather, but Shrewsbury did halt their winning run as they secured a 1-1 draw.

Conor Washington continued his great personal form, but ex-Posh man Tyrone Barnett grabbed an equaliser for Shrewsbury to help them move away from the bottom four.

It was a miserable afternoon for Wigan though as Tom Aldred netted the only goal for Blackpool at the DW Stadium. 

Elsewhere at the bottom, Crewe were dealt a late blow at Doncaster as they slipped to the foot of the table following a 3-2 defeat.

They led twice through Marcus Haber and Callum Saunders, but two goals in the last minute from Cameron Stewart and Andy Williams turned it around for Doncaster.

Barnsley climbed off the bottom and leapfrogged their opponents Colchester with a 3-2 away win, surviving a late scare for a crucial victory.

Conor Hourihane, Adam Hammill and Ivan Toney had the Tykes 3-0 up, but George Moncur and Chris Porter threatened a late comeback for the hosts.

Swindon continued to pull away from the bottom four, with their 2-1 home win against Rochdale making it three on the bounce for Martin Ling’s side.

Fabien Robert and Ben Gladwin gave them a commanding lead, with Oliver Lancashire’s goal proving just a consolation for ten-man Rochdale.

Meanwhile, Danny Mayor scored the only goal as Bury beat Chesterfield 1-0 to keep up their pursuit of a play-off place.

Next up for the Iron is Tuesday’s Emirates FA Cup second round replay against Leyton Orient, with a tie against Premier League giants Chelsea at stake. 

To buy tickets for the fixture, visit the ticket office (open Monday 9am-5pm and Tuesday 9am-kick-off), call 01724 747670 or visit to buy online.

Advertisement block