Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


25 October 2014

The Iron's youth team were beaten 2-1 at Burton Albion.

After going 2-0 down before the half time whistle, the United youth’s had to claw their way back in to the game to avoid defeat. However, with only one Wootton attempt hitting the back of the net, the Iron came home with only their second loss of the season.

Within just 3 minutes of the first half, the Iron unexpectedly went behind. A cluster of Albion players pressed Iron’s half and managed to drive a ball into the box. Although the ‘shot’ looked as if it was going well wide of Pat Weaver’s net, a late deflection lead to a goal which appeared impossible for Weaver to stop and resulted in Burton’s 1-0 advantage.

A Scunthorpe corner on 14 minutes saw a Purdue ball glide into the box and meet the head of Wootton. Although powerful, the header lacked accuracy and again trailed wide of goal. Iron pressed again in the 16th minute as a Sutton spied a good run from Wootton and switched an impressive ball into the forward on the far left. After beating a player, Wootton drove a ball into the left hand corner of Burton’s net. The shot was accurate and fooled the home keeper but an Albion defender came to the rescue and prevented what could’ve been United’s equalizer by clearing the ball off to line.

On 27 minutes, Sutton was brought down yet again in midfield and Iron received their 3rd free kick of the game. Sutton’s ability to comfortably take the ball past players and create quick 1-2 passes around his opposition resulted in him being fouled, a lot.

Sutton’s work ethic was closely replicated by Burton’s captain, when, on 30 minutes, he used pace to take the ball through a crowded midfield and hold off opposition before releasing a ball into a team mate who’s shot at goal required another save from Weaver.

The end of the first half mirrored the start as Burton took control of the game again. On 42 minutes, Albion’s number 9 played a ball from the right wing in to his central midfield team mate who pulled off a classy turn in the box but Iron’s captain, Taron Hare, put a foot in at the wrong moment and gave a penalty away.
The midfielder’s strike was first-class and Albion were 2 nil up as the first half came to an end.

In typical fashion, Iron came back onto the pitch with a newfound desire for the game and looked much sharper. A half time substitution gave centre back Charlie Cleminshaw a break, with his position being covered by Jacob Hood, and introduced first year De’Andre Watkis into midfield. Watkis made a great impression during the second half and within minutes of his substitution, he made a storming run up inside the full back and released a cross into the box.

On 54 minutes, Burton’s no 10 received a yellow card for a nasty challenge on Dyche who was trying to bring the ball out of defence and pick a pass to the forwards.

Two minutes later, Burdett displayed some good football and held up players with the ball, enabling Wootton to pick a run before Burdett curved a ball round his opposition into the step of Wootton. The shot was deflected and led to a United corner. Another solid Purdue ball met the head of Hood, and then Hare but the chances didn’t intimidate and Burton reclaim possession again.

Another Scunthorpe corner in the 66th minute met the feet of Stothard, who made a bursting run from defence. The right back played a superb ball into the Burton box and it was Wootton who leapt from his position and headed the ball into the back of the net. United’s spirits were lifted and Wootton obtained his sixteenth goal in 8 games.

On 76 minutes, a through ball from Sutton saw Wootton clean through on goal after he turned an Albion defender however, shirt pulling and rough barges brought Kyle down outside the 18- yard box and surprisingly resulted in no yellow card for the Burton defender. A United free kick was given but Burton’s keeper got safe hands to it.

During the last minutes of the game United posed their biggest threat of the second half and created more than one opportunity that should’ve resulted in the equaliser.

A long ball up the pitch from Hare reached Burdett in the Burton box. Burdett took the ball past a defender and was one on one with the keeper but the final shot lacked confidence and the Burton keeper was able to stop the shot and reclaim the ball.

Just minutes later De’Andre Watkis skillfully played a tap inside the full back into Wootton’s feet. Again, the shot was fired straight at Burton’s keeper and even when he palmed the ball into the box, Burdett and Mawson couldn’t take advantage of the open goal and finish it off.

The fulltime whistle blew and confirmed Iron’s 2-1 defeat against Burton Albion. Although it seemed Scunthorpe suffered with several spells of bad luck during the game, Burton were able to secure their lead until the end and several unproductive chances prevented United from seizing the equaliser they so desperately needed.

Advertisement block