Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


7 October 2014

Scunthorpe exited the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy after Notts County came back from 1-0 down to win 2-1 at Glanford Park.

On a cold Tuesday evening, United took the lead in the 15th minute when Paddy Madden took advantage of a slip from Blair Adams to coolly slot the ball underneath Fabian Speiss. Adams slipped with the ball at his feet on the edge of the area and the striker made no mistake in converting the match’s first real opportunity in front of goal.

The Iron survived a scare soon after the deadlock was broken when Nottingham Forest loanee McLaughlin fired in a dangerous corner only for Bishop to clear the ball behind goal. The home side, however, were not able to clear the resulting set piece and McLaughlin was there to smash the ball into the top corner from about 12 yards out.

Scunthorpe reacted well to the visitors’ equaliser with Llera curling a free-kick narrowly wide of goal. Rory Fallon also created a shooting opportunity for himself, surging forward and testing the County shot-stopper.

On the half-hour mark Llera made an excellent interception to deny Shaun Harrad finding Murray in the area after getting in behind the home side’s back line. County had three players lining up for what would have been a great opportunity in front of goal but the former Sheffield Wednesday man was able to stretch and block the striker’s cross.

The home side could do little to prevent County from taking the lead in the 33rd minute however, with Drissa Traore opening up the back line with a superb lofted through ball to Murray, who clinically dinked the ball over the oncoming Olejnik.

The claret and blue nearly found an immediate equaliser as McSheffrey’s corner was almost met by the head of Bishop. The former County midfielder was unable to get a clean connection on his header though and the ball was eventually cleared.

Bishop was again unlucky not to get on the score sheet with five minutes left to play of the first period. A flowing counter attack from the Iron ended with the 33-year-old slotting the ball past Speiss only to see his effort roll past the wrong side of the woodwork.

Soon after the restart McSheffrey had two golden chances to level, one after another. The first chance came straight from Olejnik who drop-kicked the ball through to the winger whose ambitious lob was saved comfortably by the keeper.

After some decent triangular passing Hawkridge then whipped the ball across to McSheffrey who would have had an open goal to aim for had it not been for an impressive block from Adams. Then came a corner from which Fallon’s shot was cleared off the line.

With the Iron piling on the pressure County were able to break away after Ismail played the ball through to Murray. The goal-scorer confidently ran at the Scunthorpe back line but his strike was deflected wide of goal.

It was then Madden’s turn to dribble towards goal. After receiving the ball on the right wing the striker sprinted into the penalty area but could not get his shot on target. This was just before the Irishman had a delightful headed goal disallowed by the linesman’s flag.

Former Iron Garry Thompson made an immediate impact coming off the bench. The forward’s first touch of the game was a powerful shot towards goal but this was matched by a diving save from Olejnik.

Madden almost doubled his goal tally for the evening in the 71st minute after being found in the box by McSheffrey. The 24-year-old quickly span and shot at goal but Speiss was able to gather the striker’s effort.

Less than two minutes later the former Yeovil man was still causing problems for the opposition’s defence. His cleverly disguised chip to Williams was delightful but the left back failed to get the ball under control on the edge of the six yard box.

Nearing the full time whistle United had another goal disallowed, this time for a push on the goalkeeper. Luke O’Neill whipped the ball in and the keeper was adjudged to have safely caught the ball before being bundled into the net.

Despite Scunthorpe enjoying a lot of the ball in the second half they were unable to find an equaliser and it is Notts County who progress to the third round of the competition.

Scunthorpe United: Olejnik, O’Neill, Boyce, Llera, Williams, Hawkridge (Adelakun, 81), McAllister, Bishop, McSheffrey (Myrie-Williams, 81), Madden (Kee, 81), Fallon.
Substitutes not used: Severn, Howe.

Notts County: Speiss, Adams (Cranston, 64), Smith, Hollis, Ismael, Murray, C Thompson, Traore (Wroe, 81), Harrad (G Thompson, 64), McLaughlin, Laing.
Substitutes not used: Pilkington, McKenzie.

Attendance: 1,509 (170 away).

Advertisement block