Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


18 November 2014

Goals either side of half-time helped Hull’s reserves to a 2-1 win over a youthful Scunthorpe reserve team.

It was a fast-paced start, with few chances in the opening 15 minutes, before City had an increased spell of pressure.

Karim Rossi tested Pat Weaver with a powerful low drive but the young stopper got down well before saving Max Clark’s curling shot moments later.

The Tigers’ Johan Ter Horst had a couple of good chances after getting in behind the Iron defence, but he lacked composure on both occasions as his efforts trickled wide

Hull’s dominant spell included a penalty, after Ter Horst was taken down in the box. Karim Rossi took a low spot-kick and Weaver stopped it brilliantly.

Eoghan McCawl gave the hosts the lead after 36 minutes. A pacey attack saw Leon Dawson's low cross to the far-post find the City man, who fired high into the goal from close-range.

Noel Burdett nearly levelled United before the break, when he intercepted a sloppy pass and showed a good turn of pace to nearly make the Hull man pay for his mistake, but his shot was well blocked.

The Claret and Blue had a good start to second half, as they dominated possession from kick-off and Kyle Wootton pulled an effort across goal in the early moments.

Promising start soon dashed when Hull goal scorer McCawl put in a cross for Rossi to make up for his penalty miss by heading home and doubling the Tigers’ lead.

Ryan Fallowfield nearly made it three just before the hour-mark as he sent a curling effort, from inside the box, just over the bar.

Ter Horst was found on the edge of the box and a turn into the box saw him shoot from point-blank range and Weaver saved terrifically, punching away the effort out of harm’s way.

Kyle Wootton was hauled down in the box after 68 minutes, but his claims for a penalty were soon waved away by the referee.

Ter Horst hit the outside of the post with an effort from 20 yards and Levi Sutton controlled and hit a great strike from the right-hand side of the box, but Hull’s Rory Watson showed safe hands to hold onto it.

Substitute Jack Dyche pulled one back for the Iron with less than seven minutes left on the clock. He was set through on the left behind the defence and he dispatched neatly.

Charlie Cleminshaw stopped the Tigers grabbing a third when he put his body on the line to block Rossi’s effort superbly and the Iron’s failed to find an equaliser in the closing stages.

IRON: Weaver (GK), Oliver-Stothard, Mosanya, Sutton, Baker, Cleminshaw, Mawson (Shilling, 84), Watkis (Stockill, 66), Wootton, Burdett, Purdue (Dyche, 45).
SUBS: Ledger.

HULL: Watson, Topliss, Dawson, Dixon, Clappison (Rodgers, 90), Aimson, Fallowfield (Annan, 70), Clark, Rossi, Ter Horst, McCawl (Bowen, 70).
SUBS: Walker, Clackstone.

Advertisement block