Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


17 March 2014

The Iron’s youth team ran out 3-0 home winners against York City just hours before the first team won 2-0 away at Plymouth on Saturday.

A brace from target man Kyle Wootton inside the first ten minutes, along with a second half strike from Noel Burdett set the team up for a comprehensive three points in the game played at West Street, Winterton.

Coach Paul Harsley also handed first substitute appearances to under-15’s player James Dean-Atkinson and under-16’s Charlie Clemenshaw in the remaining ten minutes; describing it as fantastic for their development.

The United team started brightly and were ahead after seven minutes of the game. Good build-up play by Connor Smythe saw him play a perfect ball into Wootton, who sent a looping header over the Minstermen’s goalkeeper to give the hosts the lead.

That lead was doubled almost instantly in the eighth minute. Levi Sutton pressed and won the ball directly from the kick-off, playing it to goalscorer Wootton. After playing a one-two with Burdett, Wootton was on his way to grab his brace, coolly slotting past the visiting shotstopper who was given no chance.

Scunthorpe could have extended their lead on the half hour mark, with Jack Mawson going close after another excellent Smythe delivery. Mawson’s effort, though, cannoned back off the crossbar and back into play. The ball was subsequently cleared by the York defenders.

Into the second half, the win was sealed on 47 minutes from another fantastic delivery from United’s left back Smythe. It was he who took a corner from the left hand side and sent an inswinging cross into the mix, which Taron Hare connected to. Hare’s powerful header was well saved by the goalkeeper, only from Burdett to be on hand to head in the rebound from four yards out.

With Wootton pressing for his hat-trick, he had chances to seal the matchball in the second half and also registered another effort denied by the woodwork. His header ricocheted off the frame of the goal and went wide of the mark as he looked to help himself to his third.

The Iron striker was also unfortunate to see some of his late efforts rebound away from goal – while his late free kick was well saved again by the busy visiting shotstopper.

Nevertheless, that was the end of the scoring as United romped to a comfortable victory.

Following the game, Paul Harsley said: “From start to finish they worked really hard and really well with their pressing, counter attacking and work with the ball.”

“The are all things we have been working on, so it was pleasing to see it come off in a game situation. Our second goal was pleasing as we won the ball instantly after scoring, showing our good work at pressing and attacking the ball.”

He added: “It was also good for the lads who have come in for their first appearances in the side – James Dean-Atkinson who is an under 15 and Charlie Clemenshaw who is an under 16. They both worked really hard and I was really impressed with them.”

“Having Hakeeb move up to the first team and Curtis Bateson now playing men’s football, we are beginning to be short of numbers, but they stepped up and did really well.”

That result leaves the youth team in a mirrored position to the first team, as they currently occupy second position in the league table.

They are next in action next week when they entertain the league leaders Bradford City at Gainsborough’s The Northolme, kick off 11am.

Iron team: Weaver, Cowling (80), Smythe, Purdue, Hare, Hood, Mawson (Oliver-Stothard 70), Sutton, Wootton, Burdett (80), Mosanya.

Subs: Ledger, Clemenshaw, Dean-Atkinson.

Advertisement block