Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


18 June 2014

It is the day that we have all being waiting for. The morning of the 2014/15 League One fixture release.

A new league and new hopes will blossom around Glanford Park with supporters hoping United can have another successful term like last year, which saw promotion from League Two.

Last year saw us begin with a 2-0 home win over Mansfield Town, through goals from Matt Sparrow and Sam Winnall.

However, prior to that, the opening day of the league calendar has seen many disappointments for the Iron in recent seasons with their last opening day victory before then coming in 2010.

Rob Jones' goal on the hour was enough to see of Reading at the Madjeski Stadium back in August 2010.

Garry Thompson gave the Iron a controversial lead inside 10 minutes before Gylfi Sigurdsson equalised for the home side.

The Iron midfielder was flagged offside as he tapped in Jonathan Forte's low cross but referee Fred Graham let allowed the goal to stand.

Prior to last season, United's last home victory on the opening day of a league season came back in 2004, when they comprehensively beat Rochdale.

The Iron started the game on the back foot and they were under some increased pressure early on when goalkeeper Paul Musselwhite was forced to save well from Paul Tait, following a short back pass from defender Andy Butler.

Cleveland Taylor fired over the bar before Paul Hayes also shot wide for the Iron. However, Brian Laws' side went behind on the stroke of half time.

Leo Bertos converted a penalty in the closing stages of the first half after Andy Crosby was penalised for pulling back Grant Holt.  

Former Scunthorpe winger Taylor equalised for the hosts with just over 20 minutes of the match remaining before Hayes gave the Iron the lead just seven minutes later.

Substitute Matt Sparrow sealed all three points for the Iron in added time as he made it 3-1.

However, the Iron's opening day success' of the last decade have been overshadowed by defeats and draws.

United succumbed to an opening day defeat last season when they travelled down to face Crawley Town. A bitterly disappointing day saw Gary Alexander score a brace whilst ex-Iron star Forte also found the back of the net.

To add insult to injury Mark Duffy was also sent off in the closing stages of the match.

The 2011-12 season did not start in perfectly for the Iron, however, it could have been worse. A stalemate away at Wycombe Wanderers was all the Iron could achieve.

James Tunnicliffe gave the hosts the lead but Michael O'Connor levelled five minutes before half time.

With both sides searching for a winner in added time Wanderers striker Ben Strevens was dismissed for a second bookable offence, however, his dismissal came too late for the Iron to take full advantage and claim all three points.

Advertisement block