Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


19 July 2014

United's youth team were beaten 2-0 away at Oldham Athletic in their latest pre-season friendly on Saturday.

He said: "

Afterwards, academy manager Tony Daws praised the Iron's youngsters.

United had players making forward runs as the ball got cut out and the home team went forward to score to seal the win.

On 82 minutes the trialist striker that had just come on was still getting in to the game as he underhit a square pass out to the wing.

Almost against the run of play, the Iron conceded the second goal as they were counter-attacking themselves.

On 75 minutes, United broke at pace and Burdett found himself clear and bearing down on goal but it wasn't his day as the Oldham keeper came out on top again, making a smart save down to his left to frustrate Burdett and his team mates.

From the 70th minute, the visitors started to make four changes which gave all the squad valuable playing time in the build up to the new season.

The Iron rotated their goalkeepers at half time with Ben Ledger coming on to replace Weaver.

United were starting to get on top and, from a corner, the usually prolific Burdett should have put the Iron on level terms but he shot straight into the Oldham keeper's chest when it seemed as though he would score.

Oldham were dangerous on the break, particularly from their right winger whose pace saw Iron defender Jack Dyche at his best on numerous occasions to stem the home team's attacks.

The game was played at a high tempo with both teams quick to attack their opponents.

Scunthorpe recovered well and should have equalised when striker Noel Burdett saw his effort come back off the post and across the goal line with the home keeper well beaten.

The throw found the Oldham striker's feet just inside the Iron penalty box and with no-one front screening he turned and scored low in to the far corner past Pat Weaver in goal.

Scunthorpe conceded the first goal after four minutes from a throw in.

United also had a player on trial at right-back so the defence was a real makeshift unit.

The injury crisis also saw new first year right-back Riley Baker filling in and partnering Wooton in the heart of the defence.

Scunthorpe had no option but to play striker Kyle Wooton as an emergency centre-half.

The Iron were short of defenders, due to injuries to Jacob Hood and Charlie Clemenshaw and were also missing captain Taron Hare, who was called into action with the first team at Gainsborough. Considering the number of key players that we had missing for this game and the fact that we had to recover from conceding an early goal we went on to play really well, we deserved at least a draw from the game and with better finishing we could have won it.

"This week we have played two teams from the north west league and both finished in the top three last season. Our boys have played and competed very well and been more than a match for both teams."

"The back four that we put out played very well together and within that big Kyle was outstanding.

Advertisement block