Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


16 July 2014

The Iron's pre-season campaign got off to the perfect start as they won 3-1 at Bottesford on Wednesday night.

Sam Winnall began pre-season with the way he ended last season - by finding the back of the net.

His strike after just five minutes gave Russ Wilcox's side a deserved lead.

League Two's top scorer from last season found the back of the net from the edge of the area. His sweet strike into the far bottom corner came following a perfectly weighted pass by Matt Sparrow.

The Iron doubled their lead just four minutes into the second half when Paddy Madden thrashed the ball into the back of the net after Dave Syers saw his header well saved.

Syers met Dawson's near post corner with a powerful header which was well saved by the Bottesford goalkeeper, however, he was unable to save Madden's effort.

The home side pulled one goal back with half an hour left to play when former Iron youth trainee Tom Johnson headed in from a corner.

Johnson leaped highest of everyone in the box to see his header fall into the far corner of James Severn's goal.

Madden sealed the win for United in stoppage time when he scored his second of the match.

The former Yeovil Town striker, who will wear the number nine shirt this season, headed the ball back across goal and it went in off the far post.

Madden escaped his marker at the back post to head Adelakun's corner past a helpless Beedle who was between the sticks for the home side.

The Iron started the game brightly and they could have taken the lead inside the first minute when new signing Jennison Myrie-Williams shot wide.

The former Port Vale winger had another chance just a minute later as he saw his shot blocked at close range by the Bottesford goalkeeper, Leigh Herrick.

United striker Deon Burton could have doubled the Iron's advantage on 18 minutes.

Former Iron defender Lee Ridley, who was playing for Bottesford, collided with Myrie-Williams inside the box.

Despite muted appeals from the United players the match official only awarded a goal kick.

His header went straight into the hands of the waiting Bottesford shot-stopper, who himself is a former Iron player.

Bottesford's only chance of the first half came from a 30 yard free-kick.

The set piece stayed low and went under the wall, however, it was a simple save for Sam Slocombe.

In the closing stages of the first half Marcus Williams seemed to pull up with a slight injury, which instantly brought some concerns to the Iron's management team.

However, the left back remained on the pitch for the final couple of minutes of the first half.

At half time United completely changed their team.

Midfielder Terry Hawkridge was due to play the second half, however, he had a slight concern with his knee during the warm up.

Youngster Curtis Bateson replaced Hawkridge in the side and he started the second half brightly.

As United went in search of their third goal of the evening it was Sean McAllister ho fancied getting his name on the score sheet.

The influential centre-midfielder tried his luck from 30-yards but his shot was always drifting wide.

Lyle Taylor almost scored his first goal for United with his first shot for his new club.

The striker, who recently signed from Sheffield United, saw his low drive sting the palms of the goalkeeper sho saved well down to his left.

With United's lead halved Taylor used his pace to break past the home defence. Taylor almost latched on to a Syers through ball but Herrick was quick off his line to deny the United striker.

Bottesford almost drew level midway through the second half when Danny Boulton forced Severn into a great save at his near post which resulted in the home side having a corner.

The resulting set-piece came to nothing as the Iron defence easily cleared a near post corner.

With just 15 minutes remaining Luke Hornsey, who was filling in at right-back, was replaced by Taron Hare.

Hornsey had a solid game throughout the half an hour he played as he looked to earn a new contract with the Iron.

Into the closing stages Bottesford manager John Corbett replaced his goalkeeper, Herrick, with Zach Beedle.

The youngster was instant in the firing line from the United strikers and he was almost caught out by a Hare cross.

Beedle misjudged the cross from the United defender, however, Wilcox's side were unable to capitalise on his error.

Beedle's misjudgement from Hare's cross didn't dent his confident as he pulled off a terrific save with his legs to deny Taylor.

United's new number 19 swiveled on the penalty spot before he got the ball from out of his feet.

However, as soon as he was facing towards goal Beedle was on his toes.

As United looked to apply the pressure in the closing stages Andy Dawson came close to restoring the Iron's lead.

His left-footed free kick from the right touchline caught everyone by surprise as it drifted the wrong side of the far post.

Had Madden got the slightest touch on the ball it would have nestled in the corner of the net.

His lack of a connection also caught defender Luke Waterfall by surprise as he then mistimed his run.

United team first half:
Slocombe, Nolan, Canavan, Boyce, Williams, Myrie-Williams, Bishop, Sparrow, McSheffrey, Winnall, Burton.
United team second half: Severn, Hornsey, Waterfall, Howe, Dawson, Bateson, McAllister, Syers, Adelakun, Madden, Taylor.
Substitutes: Hare, Wootton.

Bottesford Town: Herrick, Spall, Bryant, Johnson, Ridley, Barwick, Start, MacDonald, Snowden, Pembleton, Cross.
Substitutes: Boulton, Beedle, Gibbons, Harle, Coulbeck, Thompson, Kirk, Quickenden, Stones.

Advertisement block