Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


26 February 2014

Etienne Esajas scored a brace as the Iron beat Mansfield Town 3-0 at Kirklington Road - the home of Evo-Stick side Rainworth Miners Welfare.

Defender and reserve team captain Callum Howe scored his second goal in as many games, the first coming for Gainsborough at the weekend, as the Iron eased to their second victory over the Stags this season.

In a goalless first half, it was United who dominated proceedings, and they could have taken the lead inside seven minutes when Curtis Bateson and Connor Jennings were involved in a meaningful move.

Jennings, who played the full 90 minutes on his comeback to competitive football following a serious injury in December, was denied several times in quick succession by the Stags defence.

The United striker, who was prolific while out on loan at Macclesfield Town earlier this season, looked like a player full of confidence as he again looked to give United the lead during the opening exchanges.

He tried his luck from outside the area but unfortunately for him, his shot was always curling away from the Mansfield goal.

The best the hosts could offer during the first half came through Ross Dyer, however, his shot never threatened James Severn in the Iron goal - who had a quiet and cold evening.

At the break United traded experience for youth as they withdrew Andy Dawson in favour of George Grayson and the visitors' next forceful attack came down the left wing.

Great play down the left wing led to the ball finding its way to Jennings, who found himself in the middle of the park, but his pass which was intended for another substitute - Jamie Wootton - was cut out by a home defender.

With United looking to get the first goal Mansfield stepped up the pressure of their own.
Louis Briscoe, who skied a late penalty on the opening day of the season at Glanford Park, sent his shot high and wide on to the roof of the tea room located behind Severn's goal.

The Iron took the lead just eight minutes after the restart.
Esajas, who has found first team opportunities hard to come by in recent months, created some room on the edge of the area before he unleashed a low drive which crept underneath the diving Ian Deakin.

That gave the visitors confidence of grabbing a second and they almost did just a minute later.
Jennings, who was surrounded by a few defenders, created a little bit of space for himself on the edge of the area but his toe-poke towards goal lacked enough power to make Deakin work.

With just over two thirds of the game played, the Iron came close to doubling their lead once again - and it was Esajas who orchestrated the move.

His deep free kick allowed Luke Waterfall to escape his marker, seven yards out, but he was unable to keep his header on target.

United made their pressure count with just 10 minutes remaining when Howe doubled their lead.

The centre-half escaped his man after Esajas put a perfectly weighted ball into the box and he headed home at the back post.

Within a minute of Mansfield getting the game back under way they found themselves in trouble again.
Esajas capitalised on a defensive mistake and he unleashed a shot from outside the box which took everyone, both on and off the pitch by surprise.

His dipping effort left Deakin motionless as the ball flew over his head and nestled in the top corner.

In added time the Iron, who were being managed by Andy Dawson and Paul Harsley, could have heaped more misery on the home side as Wootton glanced a header towards goal from Andy Welsh's cross, another United player who played the full game having been out injured for much of the season.

This time Deakin was alert enough to tip the ball over the bar.

Iron team: Seven, Hare, Howe, Waterfall, Dawson (Grayson,45), Sutton, Bateson (J Wootton, 45), Boyce (Hood, 83), Esajas, Welsh, Jennings.
Subs not used: Weaver, K Wootton, Mawson.

Advertisement block