Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


19 December 2014

United captain Neal Bishop was relieved to help the Iron into the third round of the FA Cup after beating Worcester City on Wednesday.

The Vanarama Conference side took the Claret and Blue to penalties in front of the BT Sport cameras, when they witnessed a record-breaking number of penalties taken in the shooutout - 32.

It was United that won it at Aggborough, 14-13 after a 1-1 draw took the match to extra-time and Bishop was just glad to see the job done.

“We did it the hardest possible way but we have done it to get into the third round, which is the most important thing,” the team captain told The Iron Player.

“We were expecting exactly what we got. It was a sell-out crowd and they were in our faces and full credit to them because they have matched us over two games.

“We created the best chances in the first half and then in extra-time but we did not have control of the game in any of it and it came down to fitness.

“What is important about these cup ties is getting to the next round and we have achieved that.”

The midfielder took the second penalty for the visiting side and he admits the home fans made an intimidating amount of noise to back their side.

“It was loud on the halfway line and when we went to take it, it was even louder,” he stated.

“It was a great atmosphere for their players and it didn’t look like it was going to end.

“We persevered, showed great character in front of the cameras, who would have been disappointed we did not get beat.”

The Iron took the lead in before the interval through Paddy Madden, who also opened the scoring in the first leg, and former Walsall man Sean Geddes levelled Carl Heeley’s side 21 minutes from time.
“We did not play well, there’s no two ways about it,” Bishop said.

“We had a couple of chances but it was never going to be pretty and they made it hard for us.

“They beat Coventry and they have done well in three games against League One clubs and full credit to them, they will come away with a lot of belief and positivity from this run and have a few quid in their pocket.”

Mark Robins’ Scunthorpe are now in the third round of the competition and will face either Chesterfield or MK Dons at Glanford Park. Bishop sees it as a good opportunity to advance past similar-level opposition to get a tie against a Premier League club in the fourth round of the competition.

He added: “We are in the third round and it will be at home so if we can get into the fourth round we have a chance of getting a big tie, fingers crossed we can do better than we did at Worcester.

“We wanted a home draw and we were the first out of the hat so we will just have to see who we play.”

See much more from Mark Robins and Neal Bishop on The Iron Player.

Advertisement block