Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


23 August 2014

Kyle Wootton and Noel Burdett were on target as the Iron's youth team won 2-1 at York City.

An excellent first half performance and demonstration of their firepower saw the Iron youngsters put themselves in to a commanding two goal lead at half time at the Minstermen's training ground on Saturday morning.

The pitch was in immaculate condition and this allowed United to pass the ball with real purpose and quality from the first whistle.

The visitors created chances before they opened the scoring after 11 minutes.

Strikers Kyle Wooton and Noel Burdett linked up with some superb interplay on the edge of the York box and, when Noel Burdett's effort was parried out, Kyle Wootton made no mistake from a tight angle as he notched his ninth goal in seven games.

Ten minutes later, Burdett pulled the ball down with aplomb before curling his effort past Wright in City's goal but also wide of the far post.

United continued to dominate and it was no surprise when the visitors stretched their lead after half an hour with a spectacular goal as they started to dominate the game.

Riley Baker drilled a great pass into Wootton who chested the ball in to the path of his strike partner Burdett.

Without hesitation, the first year striker lashed the ball in to the roof of the City goal from the edge of the box to open his league account for this season.

On 33 minutes, Baker gave the ball away as his attempted pass forced Levi Sutton to concede a foul wide of the box.

As the free kick came in, United seemed to stop playing and needed a good save from Ben Ledger in goal to keep their two goal lead intact.

Just before half-time, Sutton chested the ball down only to see his volley drift narrowly wide in the final action of the first half.

Five minutes into the second half, Burdett was through with only York keeper Danny Wright to beat but Burdett hit his effort straight at the home keeper as the chance to stretch their lead further was gone.

United were left to rue that miss as City pulled a goal back on the hour as they counter attacked from an Iron corner to get themselves back in to the game.

After scoring City seemed to gain in confidence and started to cause the visitors problems.

However, on 73 minutes a good cross from Reece Mosanya found Wootton's feet ten yards out but United's leading scorer fired over when well positioned.

City were awarded numerous corners that United disputed and the visitors had to defend their goal as the Minstermen searched for the equaliser.

On 85 minutes Emilio Stothard slipped a through ball in to the path of Wootton who decided to take his shot early but the big striker saw his effort drift agonisingly beyond the far post.

In the 90th minute United had a free kick close to the home team's goal and instead of playing short and retaining possession United opted to cross the ball in to the City penalty area.

Wright in the City goal caught the cross before launching the ball long to set City on their final attack.

Fortunately, United dealt with the danger to record their second win in the three games played.

United academy manager Tony Daws said afterwards: "It was similar to last week at Rotherham, again today we played well in the first half but allowed our opponents back in to the game in the second half because we took our foot off the gas.

"I am saying it again but we do need to be more clinical in front of goal and take our many chances that we create and then we will kill games off. Well done to the boys again today - lots of positives to take from the performance."

Advertisement block