Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 22/09/2012

22 September 2012

United extended their unbeaten run to four games after a 1-0 victory over Colchester United at Glanford Park.

The only goal of the game came in the 76th minute when Leon Clarke took his Iron tally to four in as many games, after signing on loan from Charlton Athletic earlier this month.

The former Swindon Town striker dispatched the penalty, which he won after being brought down by Colchester defender Matt Heath, straight down the middle and past a helpless Mark Cousins.

Moments after the goal, Iron could have doubled their lead as Christian Ribeiro found himself in touching distance of goal but he blazed the ball over and into the Brticon Stand from 18 yards.

In a lacklustre first half of very few chances, it was the Iron who nearly made the breakthrough on the stroke of half time.

Clarke combined with former Rotherham United defender Tom Newey on the edge of the Colchester penalty area, however the Iron left backs tame shot made for an easy save by Cousins. 

The visitors had the first chance of the match on five minutes as Michael Rose tried his luck from 30 yards, however a poor connection meant it ran out of play and well past Sam Slocombe’s left hand post.

Josh Walker almost capitalised on Clarke’s flick out wide before he saw his top corner shot tipped over the bar by Cousins.

David Prutton’s resultant corner was met by Niall Canavan at the back post however he could not keep his effort on target.

Former Sheffield Wednesday striker Clinton Morrison, almost put the visitors in front on 25 minutes as his attempted flick on goal was blocked by Niall Canavan and diverted behind for a corner.

Colchester’s Rose became the first player of the afternoon to go into the book after his late challenge brought down Christian Ribeiro.

United came close to breaking the deadlock 10 minutes before the break, when Jimmy Ryan skipped past Brian Wilson before seeing his near post shot deflected into the side netting by Matt Heath.

Scunthorpe started the second half the brighter side and were instantly rewarded as the referee awarded them a free kick 25 yards out which Walker drove straight into the wall.

On the follow attack Ryan latched on to a loose ball before earning his side a corner, which was delivered by Prutton and met by captain David Mirfin which he could not keep on target.

The U’s had to wait until the 52nd minute for their first attempt on goal of the second half. Karl Duguid struck the ball from 20 yards but it was never going to trouble Slocombe as it cleared the stand.

Slocombe made the save of the match just before the hour mark as he prevented the Iron from going a goal down. Morrison climbed above the Iron defence to meet the cross which was brilliantly saved by the wrong footed goalkeeper.

Ryan, Tom Newey and Mark Duffy caught the visitors on the counter attack as quick on touch football on the left wing led to the Iron coming close against as Duffy’s shot was deflected behind.  

Play was halted for several minutes half way through the second half as Newey received treatment for an ankle injury after a late tackle from Wordsworth, which saw him go into the book.

Duffy had two chances for the Iron in as many minutes for the home side but he was denied both times by Cousins in the Colchester goal.

After falling behind Colchester manager John Ward made a double tactical substitution in the hope of salvaging a point.

Former West Ham United star Freddie Sears and Drey Wright were introduced however neither had an impact on the game.

Scunthorpe continued to go in search of a second late on, and they thought they had done when Hawley chipped the onrushing Cousins, however the assistant referee had his flag up for offside.

Sears attempted to earn his side a draw, two minutes into the five added on, as he went down under in the box after challenge from Mirfin, but the referee waved away the claims.

The U’s threatened in the closing stages of added time for an equaliser but the Iron held off the challenge after some courageous defending.

United are next in action on Saturday when they visit Portsmouth.


Scunthorpe United: Slocombe, Ribeiro, Mirfin, Canavan, Newey, Duffy, Walker, Prutton, Ryan (Barcham, 86), Hawley (Jennings, 86), Clarke

Substitutes not used: Severn, Grella, Gibbons, Keegan, Sedgwick.

Colchester United:
Cousins, Rose, Heath, Duguid (Wright, 78), Morrison, Izzet (Henderson, 74), Bean, Eastman, Wilson, Massey (Sears, 78), Wordsworth

Subs; Petney, Pound, Coker, White.

Attendance: 3,133 (80 away supporters).

Sponsors' man of the match: Niall Canavan.

Iron Bar man of the match: Christian Ribeiro.

Advertisement block