Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


20 October 2012

The Iron fought back to claim a 1-1 away draw at promotion-chasing Swindon Town on Saturday.

The hosts took an early lead through James Collins but went down to ten men when Aden Flint was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Karl Hawley equalised early in the second half as the visitors made the most of their extra man advantage.

There were chances at either end but the game ended in a draw.

The Iron entered the game making two changes from the side which drew 1-1 against Brentford a week earlier.

Paul Reid replaced the suspended David Mirfin at the heart of defence, while Karl Hawley recovered from an ankle injury to replace Mike Grella.

Sam Slocombe started in goal, with Christian Ribeiro, captain Reid, Niall Canavan and Tom Newey forming the defence.

The midfield consisted of Mark Duffy, David Prutton, Robbie Gibbons and Jimmy Ryan, while Hawley and Leon Clarke led the attack.

The substitutes were James Severn, Callum Kennedy, Josh Walker, Mike Grella, Andy Barcham, Connor Jennings and Michael Collins,

Wearing white shirts with claret shorts, the Iron looked to bring an impetus to the start of the game and, with Clarke and Prutton facing a former club and looking to prove a point, the former of those sent a header wide on seven minutes as he connected with a Gibbons cross but sent his effort over the crossbar.

The second opportunity also came Scunthorpe's way, as Ryan sent a weak effort well wide from the edge of the area after a Clarke knockdown.

In the 11th minute there was another United chance as Clarke connected with a Prutton centre but headed over the bar.

Then, two minutes later, Duffy received a right-wing ball and cut inside before drilling a low drive well wide.

In the 14th minute, Hawley clipped the ball out wide for Ryan but the winger's cross-shot went into the sidenetting.

Four minutes later, Swindon were ahead as Collins got into space on the right side of the area, playing a one-two with Paul Benson, and slotted past the onrushing Slocombe.

On 26 minutes, Slocombe had to be quick to stop Benson after the attacker had been played through down the right side. Reid then cleared away the danger.

The Iron were handed a boost on 34 minutes when Aden Flint was sent off for a second bookable offence, after bringing Clarke down on the edge of the area following the striker's one-two with Hawley.

That said, there were no further chances in the opening half - with the next opportunity arriving Duffy's way just after half-time but his effort from distance cleared the crossbar.

The first Scunthorpe substitution arrived on 55 minutes when Barcham came on for Ryan.

And United instantly equalised as Hawley excellently connected with a fine right-wing Duffy cross to head the away team level for his second goal in two games.

Just three minutes later, Wes Foderingham was drawn into a fine save from Clarke, tipping away from the frontman's drive after Hawley had teed him up.

As the game drew to the conclusion, Scunthorpe tried to use the extra man to their advantage but the home defence proved resolute when dealing with what was thrown at them.

Their best chance of the second period came eight minutes from time when Barcham was clipped through down the right side of the area but his chip over the onrushing goalkeeper just cleared the shotstopper's right-hand post and went narrowly wide.

Just moments prior to that, Gary Roberts had curled an effort just over for Swindon.

Then, five minutes before the end, he volleyed just over the crossbar after Troy Archibald-Henville's header found him.

The hosts continued to press and have the better of the final five minutes, with Adam Rooney drilling an effort just wide, so the away team made a second change, as Collins came on for his first football in a year and replaced Gibbons.

There were four minutes of stoppage time but the deadlock couldn't be broken as the game ended in a draw.

Scunthorpe are next in action on Tuesday night when they host Preston North End.

Swindon Town:
Foderingham, McEveley, Flint, Ferry, Collins (Rooney, 77), Ritchie, Roberts, Benson (McCormack, 39), Thompson (Archibald-Henville, 68), Miller, Ward.
Substitutes not used: Bedwell, Storey, De Vita, Bostock.

Scunthorpe United: Slocombe, Ribeiro, Reid, Canavan, Newey, Duffy, Prutton, Gibbons (Collins, 87), Ryan (Barcham, 56), Hawley, Clarke.
Substitutes: Severn, Kennedy, Walker, Grella, Jennings.

Referee: Pat Miller.

Attendance: 7,388 (185 away).

Advertisement block