Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


13 October 2012

Ten-man Scunthorpe United salvaged a point in a 1-1 home draw against Uwe Rosler’s Brentford at Glanford Park.

Leon Clarke scored his first goal in three games to earn Alan Knill’s side a share of the points as he headed the ball past Simon Moore in the Brentford goal.

The much travelled striker headed home Mark Duffy’s cross from the right wing, after clever work from the ex-Morecambe winger.

The visitors took the lead two minutes before the break, when Brentford winger Harry Forrester came in from the left wing – bypassing four Iron players before slotting the ball in to Sam Slocombe’s far post.

The visitors could have taken the lead earlier in the first period when striker Clayton Donaldson beat the offside trap before back tracking and firing a low powerful drive on goal, which was blocked by Iron skipper David Mirfin, apparently with his hand.

Referee Trevor Kettle did not deem it to be a penalty, however his assistant on the far touchline gave the penalty.

Donaldson took the penalty himself but, under the pressure in front of the home supporters, missed the target putting the ball wide of Slocombe’s right hand post to the delight to the home supporters.

United’s best chance for the first half came on 37 minutes when on-loan striker Clarke headed the ball directly at Bees goalkeeper Simon Moore.

Jimmy Ryan played the ball through the legs of Harlee Dean before Christian Ribeiro crossed the ball in to the box. 

Two minutes later Clarke had another opportunity to break the deadlock again when Ribeiro’s cross was spilt by Moore, but the goalkeeper recovered just in time to prevent the striker from having a simple header.  

The first opportunity of the game fell to feet of the former Swindon striker Clarke, who was played through by another loanee David Prutton. However, his first touch took the ball away from goal and he could not keep his shot under control as he found a selection of the visiting supporters.

Five minutes after the restart the Iron could have drew level. Mark Duffy received the ball out wide, he brought the ball past Bidwell before checking back on to his right foot and his low drive was saved – and held at the second attempt – by Moore.

Toumani Diagouraga could have doubled the Bees’ lead on the hour mark when he turned on the edge of the box. However an unconvincing connection meant the ball trickled out for a goal kick. 

Minutes after replacing Mike Grella – Connor Jennings has successive shots which were blocked by Tony Craig, the second shot going out for a corner.

The resulting set piece resulted in some aerial bombardment from the Iron, however they were unable to make the opportunities pay.

With 25 minutes to play the visitors were awarded a corner, Adam Forshaw took the out-swinging set piece which was met by defender Craig. Slocombe reacted quickly to the effort and tipped the ball over the bar and out for another corner.

Prior to the Iron equaliser, goalkeeper Slocombe sent a route one ball downfield in search of the United goal scorer, who flicked the ball on and turned the defender before picking up the ball on the edge of the area, but his shot was weak and always moving away from goal.

Former Leeds United midfielder Jonathan Douglas squandered a great chance for the visitors three quarters of the way through the match, but his drive way always rising and it cleared the stand – going into orbit.

Saunders came in from the right wing and on to his left foot before unleashing a shot on – which was always rising – on Slocombe’s goal. 

With five minutes remaining, captain Mirfin, was shown a second yellow card for a late tackle on Douglas after previously being booked for handball when the visitors were awarded the first half penalty.  

In the final minute of the game former Hereford United midfielder, Diagouraga came within inches of sealing victory but his shot – in the midst of a goalmouth scramble went wide of the near post.

In added time the Iron made a defensive change, bringing on Callum Kennedy – who played his first competitive football since picking an injury in the 4 – 0 home defeat to Yeovil in August - in place of Jimmy Ryan for to give more strength at the back after Mirfin’s dismissal.

The substitution proved pivotal by manager Alan Knill as the away side came close several times in the dying stages but the Iron defence remained strong – preventing the Bees from taking all three points back to London.

Scunthorpe United:
Slocombe, Ribeiro, Mirfin, Canavan, Newey, Gibbons, Prutton, Ryan (Kennedy, 87), Duffy, Clarke, Grella (Jennings, 60).

Substitutes not used: Severn, Walker, Barcham, Jennings, Keegan.

Moore, Forshaw (Adeyemi, 80), Craig, Dean, Douglas, Donaldson, Logan, Forrester (Dallas, 87), Diagouraga, Hayes (Saunders, 71), Bidwell.

Substitutes; Lee, O’Connor, Barron, Legg.

3,008 (195 away).

Advertisement block