Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

20 August 2019 Venue Staveley Miners Welfare Attendance

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

Chesterfield XI
2 - 0
Scunthorpe United
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Chesterfield XI 2-0 Iron U23s

20 August 2019

The Iron Under-23s fell to a 2-0 defeat against a Chesterfield XI, as two goals before the break saw the youthful Iron side succumb to defeat at Inkersall Road. However, Clayton Lewis, Jack Lambert and Jacob Bedeau received game time in their recoveries from injury.

Jo Cummings made a goal-line clearance inside four minutes. The ball was lofted over Tom Collins but Cummings was on hand to dig it out on the line.

With 15 minutes on the clock, Lambert saw his effort saved. Tom Pugh found the forward out on the left but Lambert’s low shot was palmed away, after he had brought the ball under his spell.

Reon Potts’ effort was blocked by a blue shirt, only for Lewis to be flagged offside from the rebound.

Shortly after, Collins was called into action. The shot-stopper tipped an effort around the post but the Spireites made it 1-0 from the resulting corner, with 18 minutes gone, after the ball dropped in the area and was prodded home from close range.

The Iron won a free-kick 30 yards out on the left. Yasin Ben El-Mhanni’s curling set piece looked destined for the top corner, but the Spireites ‘keeper turned it onto the post.

From the corner, Cummings had his protests for a penalty waved away, with the defender appealing for handball.

Chesterfield doubled their lead on 24 minutes. The Spireites attacker cut inside and found the bottom corner, making it 2-0.

Potts and Ben El-Mhanni combined down the left as the latter laid it off to Potts but his effort from the edge of the box was tame and gathered by the ‘keeper.

With 40 minutes gone, George Hornshaw had an ambitious effort from distance but fired over.

Ben El-Mhanni went close for the Iron with another free-kick within similar range as his earlier set piece but the attacker was high of the target.

After the interval, El-Mhanni’s right-footed effort was watched wide after Clayton Lewis pounced on a loose ball.

Chesterfield had the ball in the back of the net, with 62 minutes gone, but the goal was ruled out. A cross whipped in from the left found a blue shirt at the back post in an offside position.

Collins made a good stop in the 65th minute to deny Chesterfield a third. The ‘keeper dived to his right to keep out a Spireites player from the edge of the area, and Cummings averted further danger, sliding in with a good challenge.

The Iron defended well with Cummings making a goal saving block and Collins was equal to the rebound, with 15 minutes to go.

Ben El-Mhanni looked to get on the scoresheet, letting fly from the edge of the area with 83 minutes on the watch, after playing a one-two, but his effort was blocked by a blue shirt and it finished 2-0.

Iron U23s: Collins, Horsfield, Bedeau (O’Malley 45’), Hornshaw, Cummings, Rowe, Lambert (L Gallimore 52’), Pugh, Potts, Lewis (Jessop 61’), Ben El-Mhanni.

Iron unused subs: O’Malley, Barks, Silva.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account