Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 11:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
07 September 2019 Venue Unavailable Attendance

Kick off 11:00 (UK)

Scunthorpe United U18
3 - 1
Huddersfield Town U18
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Iron U18s 3-1 Huddersfield Town U18s

7 September 2019

The Iron Under-18s defeated their Huddersfield Town counterparts 3-1 in their latest Youth Alliance League clash on Saturday.

Academy manager Tony Daws said: "It was an excellent performance and result today due to all of the players working hard both with and without the ball.

"Our attitude and commitment was the best it's been for a while, and this contributed to us dominating the first-half, gaining the momentum which in turn saw us score three goals by half-time.

"In the second-half, we were not able to achieve the same levels. Huddersfield went up a gear, scored and came back at us but we were very resillient under pressure and saw the game out. 

"Well done to all the lads and a particular well done to Levi Gallimore for scoring his hat-trick."

The Iron took the lead through Levi Gallimore on five minutes. A well-worked throw-in fell for the striker on the edge of the area and his half-volley nestled in the top corner.

Soon after, goalkeeper Tom Collins raced off his line to clear a loose ball and did well to beat the Huddersfield forwards to it.

With 10 minutes gone, Jessop latched onto a throughball and found himself in behind the Terriers’ defence. His first touch was good but the offside flag was up.

Just a minute later, there was another chance for Levi Gallimore but the goalscorer rolled the ball just wide of the far post.

In the 14th minute, Levi Gallimore got his and the Iron’s second of the game to double the advantage. He latched onto a ball on the right channel, beat the full-back and then drilled an effort low and hard across goal, and into the corner of the net.

With 19 minutes gone, the Iron had a free-kick in a dangerous position, on the edge of the D. Jessop’s low-set piece was on target but the ‘keeper gathered.

On 25 minutes, the Iron counter-attacked quickly. Levi Gallimore laid it off to Jessop, who cut inside and fired a left-footed effort just over the bar with the ‘keeper diving off to his right.

The 26th minute saw some good defensive work from Oliver Kemp, who kept his man from getting the ball into the box. The subsequent corner was then wasted.

With half an hour gone, Jessop brought a ball over the top under his spell, going it alone and taking on three defenders, getting his shot away but the goalkeeper saved.

The 37th minute saw a wonderful move from the Iron. Levi Gallimore chased down possession. Wilson then played a one-two inside the box with Jessop but the final effort was high and over the bar.

Levi Gallimore completed his hat-trick in the 41st minute. The ball was bobbling around in the box and it looked like he got the final touch.

The Terriers pulled a goal back just after the break, and Collins then made an excellent fingertip save to keep a further effort out. Soon after, Harry Baker made another important interception in the box before an away forward got there.

With 57 minutes gone, Finley Shrimpton fired an effort over the crossbar. Then, not long after, Jessop struck a free-kick but it was off target.

As the clock struck 70 minutes, Cameron Wilson floated a great ball in to Shrimpton, making a run at the back post, but it was just too long for the latter.

Then, Virgo fired just over the bar from 20 yards out, after being urged to shoot.

The last chance of the game came on 85 minutes as Jessop twisted and turned inside the box, looking for a way through, but his effort was straight down the throat of the Terriers’ ‘keeper.

IRON: Collins, Baker, Lobley, D. Gallimore, Barks, Kemp, Wilson, Shrimpton (Heywood), L. Gallimore (Parker), Jessop, Virgo (Boswell).

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account