Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 14:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
13 September 2019 Venue Unavailable Attendance

Kick off 14:00 (UK)

Scunthorpe United U18
2 - 0
Grimsby Town U18
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report: Iron U18s 2-0 Grimsby Town U18s

13 September 2019

Finley Shrimpton and Harry Jessop scored the goals as United's Under-18s defeated their Grimsby Town counterparts at West Street, Winterton in the Youth Alliance Cup on Friday.

The first effort on goal was from the Iron in the sixth minute, as Levi Gallimore picked out Jessop in the area but his effort was saved. They soon linked up again but the away side cleared.

On 14 minutes, Shrimpton opened the scoring. It was a great goal for the Iron as Jessop laid it off to Oliver Lobley, who squared it to Shrimpton and the skipper took his time to slot home.

In the 19th minute, there was a scramble in the box and Iron goalkeeper Josh Chapman saved with his legs at his near post.

Then, three minutes later, the Iron defended well and made a double block from a Grimsby forward. Jordan Haywood got his body in the way first and Charlie Barks blocked the follow up.

United kept possession well with the half hour mark approaching. Levi Gallimore chased down a loose ball but the goalkkeeper beat the striker to it.

In the 32nd minute, the Iron had a free-kick. Cameron Wilson stood over it and Barks won the header, nodding the ball back across goal, but there was no claret and blue shirt there to convert.

Moments later, Jessop showed good perseverance to win the ball back on the edge of the area but he couldn’t get his shot away. The same player turned and ran at the Grimsby defence on 37 minutes but his pass was too short for Levi Gallimore.

After that, Chapman came racing off his line to clear the ball before a Grimsby player could get there.

On 40 minutes, the ball was dinked through to Levi Gallimore, but he fired over the bar.

With three minutes of the opening half left, Jessop doubled the Iron’s advantage. The number 10 bent a free-kick around the wall and into the bottom corner.

The first incident of note in the second-half saw Chapman dive to the left to make a save from a Grimsby player and tip the ball over the bar.

On 59 minutes, Chapman then got his fingertips to the Grimsby number 11’s free-kick which looked to be goalbound.

On the hour mark, Wilson slid in a low cross-turned-shot from the right which the goalkeeper could only palm out to the feet of Levi Gallimore, but his effort was high of the target.

Five minutes after, Wilson’s effort from 20 yards flashed just over the bar. Soon after, there was a crucial block inside the area to deny Grimsby a goal back.

With 74 minutes gone, Grimsby won a penalty but it was saved by Chapman. The penalty was sent straight down the middle but he saved while diving to his right and held onto it.

Eight minutes later, Levi Gallimore played a one-two with Shrimpton on the edge of the area but the latter couldn’t quite dig out the shot.

With 87 minutes gone, Jessop showed good strength to keep the ball with three black and white striped shirts bearing down on him and wins the free-kick. The set piece took a deflection off the wall and the corner came to nothing.

Right at the end, Chapman saved with his feet, following a one-on-one with a Grimsby forward.

The Under-18s return to action with a game against Doncaster Rovers at West Street, Winterton on Friday, September 27th (1pm kick-off).

IRON: Chapman, Baker, Haywood, D. Gallimore, Barks, Shrimpton, Boswell, Wilson, L. Gallimore (McQuillan, 90), Jessop, Lobley.

IRON SUBS NOT USED: Collins, Hardwick.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account